-𝙎𝙩𝙚𝙫𝙚 𝙍𝙤𝙜𝙚𝙧𝙨-

Obligation

               I heard a knock at my door

I heard a knock at my door. "Huh, I wasn't expecting anyone." I told myself.

Walking to the door, I cautiously open it. A tall form looked at me. Confusion racked my brain. Until I met his blue eyes. I gasp in shock as I stare at the man. " S-Steve. Is that really you?"

He nods, smiling. A tear falls from down my cheek. I go and engulf him in a hug. His body is hard and he was much taller then before. "What do they feed you in boot camp? Steroid stew?"

"It's a long story," he laughs. I pull away, smiling. It's been so long since I've smiled. I lead him inside and have him sit on the sofa. "So, how have you been? Where's Donny at?"

The mention of his name felt like a slap in the face. "He-um," I breath heavily. Tears start streaming down my face. A painful feeling hit my chest. "He was drafted, but h-he didn't make it."

Steve looked at me with guilt. "I'm so sorry,
y/n. I-I should've been there with you. I shoul-"

I put my finger on his lips to hush him. "It's not your fault. You were fighting for our country like he was."

He pulls me in an embrace. I place my face at the crook of his neck, holding on to him tightly. "How was the funeral?"

"We didn't have one. They b-burned them," I sob softly. "Even if his body was here, I couldn't afford to have a funeral for him. I'm all alone now Steve. Momma left us, Daddy died of tuberculosis, and Donny passed away. All I've got is this house that I can barely afford."

"You've got me, y/n."

I look at him with a sad smile. " It's only a matter of time before you find yourself a nice girl, Steve. I know that Donny and you were close like brothers, but don't feel obligated to take care of me."

"I've already met a nice girl, more than nice actually. She's amazing." Steve grins.

I fake a happy expression, but my heart is slowly cracking. "Oh, that's great, Steve. What's her name?"

"Y/n Y/l/n," he smiles. "I'm not gonna take care of you because I feel "obligated" to. I'm gonna take care of you because I want to and because I love you."

"I love you, Steve." I say softly. He caresses my face and lifts my chin up. Softly, he connects his plump lips to mine. It was a sweet, tender moment. It was the start of a new and better life.