Vol.9 Ch.7: Nerves Before the First Match

The bus arrived at ProCenter.

"Nia, we're here," Yuel addressed the black hairball that was curled up on the chair. "Hey, wake up." There was no response.

"Earth to Nia," Kai joined the effort, but it was to no avail. Rather than sleeping, it's more like Nia's consciousness slipped into an entirely different dimension and took a nap over there. Nobody's words reached her. She was slumber incarnate.

"Haha," Luke was getting a kick out of this spectacle. "Hey Yuel, wasn't it you who told her to take nap? Welp, you reap what you sow. Haha."

"Ugh," Yuel didn't have a retort. Indeed, he was the one who suggested Nia to take a short nap during the ride. It should've helped Nia save up energy before the scrimmage.

This troublesome girl was notoriously known for falling asleep around 3 pm every day without fail, even in the middle of club activity. That absolutely wasn't allowed to happen today. The scrimmage was set to begin around 14:30, so it'll definitely go beyond 15:00. Nia had to stay awake throughout the entire thing. No naps allowed.

So, Yuel tried to prepare for it ahead of time by letting Nia sleep during the ride. However, the idea backfired. Nia was stuck in her infamously uninterruptible slumber before the scrimmage even began...

"Hey kids!" The bus driver shouted. "Are you coming off or what? I'm shutting the doors."

"Just a second, driver dude!" Lars shouted across the bus. "We got a sleepy-head over here!" He and Vincent were standing at the bus doors like guards, preventing the doors from closing. This hooliganism was clearly testing the driver's patience.

"C'mon, Nia," Kai shook Nia's shoulder.

"Mufu..." Nia produced an alien sound and shook off the intruder. Then, she returned to her silent, peaceful slumber.

Seriously, this girl... Yuel exhaled a sigh. Nia's brain worked in mysterious ways. One moment she could be 100% concentrated on the ongoing match, then as soon as it was over - she shut down like a robot that ran out of batteries.

"How about some chocolate?" Vincent suggested as he scrolled on his tablet. "According to my bottomless sea of knowledge, the first thing Nia always does upon waking up is to stuff herself with a bar of chocolate or five. It must be a spiritual ritual that recalls her soul from the Slumber Dimension and brings it back to Terra!"

"Chocolate, huh," Yuel opened one of the pockets in Nia's bag, the one from which she produced an infinite amount of sweets every day. As usual, the small pocket acted like a gate to another dimension, one that housed an entire chocolate factory in it. Where was she even getting all this chocolate from...?

"Nia, it's a Knickers," Yuel unwrapped the chocolate and waved it in front of Nia's nose.

Sniff sniff. Sniff sniff. Nia's nose reacted to the stimuli. She was like a little kitten considering a meal.

"Am!" Nia bit the chocolate. Slowly, her eyes opened up.

"Good morning," Yuel said. "We've arrived. Let's go."

"Mffmff." Nia nodded while taking small, but swift, bites at the chocolate. Eventually, she rose from the chair. The bus driver was ready to pop a vein at any moment and started walking towards them, so they fled the scene like a bunch of hooligans.

"Man, that driver was about to unleash his ult on us, haha," Luke laughed.

"Dude was legit mad," Lars laughed too.

"Seriously, we've just arrived and you're already causing trouble," Ms. Stone glared at them.

"Sorry. Won't happen again," Kai lightly bowed her head. It wasn't her fault, but she had to take responsibility as the captain.