Vol.14 Ch.26: Testing the Waters With Aggression

For the third wave, TheTheorist repeated the same pattern as before. She pummeled Vincent's swordsmen with her fists, then backpedaled from the scene while firing Chakra Bullets.

This time, only one bowman successfully made it into the tower area. The poor lad only had one chance to nock an arrow into his bow before perishing.

What a tragedy! Vincent shook his head. And, it shall only get worse from here.

And, even the great Chessmaster thought the exact same thing.

So, this routine already went from allowing two survivors to just one. Yuel frowned. And, in the next wave, the one bowman who'll make it into the tower area will be injured, so he might even fail to damage the tower at all.

"Vincent, you need to dial up the aggression," Yuel instructed. "It's nice that you have the lane advantage, but it doesn't give us much as it is. Spellblade has a substantial advantage over Monk in the early-game, so you have to capitalize on it.

"So, shall I initiate combat? A duel to the death!?"

"It probably won't escalate that far, but yes, you need to start hitting her. When she extends to attack your frontline, open an attack on her, and let's where it goes. Just be mindful of the minion damage."

"Worry not, for the minions' feeble attacks shall not pose a threat to my Blade stance! My passive shield shall deflect all incoming physical damage!"

"It only gives you a small defense buff, don't get carried away," Yuel retorted. "But, don't be too conservative, either. Make sure you hit her hard enough to make her reconsider her game plan."

"It shall be done, my lord." Vincent pretended to bow in front of the mastermind. After all, he was but a piece on Chessmaster's elaborate board, and he shall move in accordance to the master's wishes.

With that said, what was the safest way to satisfy the lord's request? If Vincent were to carelessly lay a finger on Theorist, then her loyal guards would run all over him.

In the meantime, the target herself will evacuate the premises as quickly as a phantom thief. Considering Iron Skin could grant the Monk both Invincibility and a Movement Speed buff, there was little chance of delivering any serious damage to Theorist from one such exchange.

But, as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day. Vincent nodded. Even if the pressure I apply with each individual exchange will be minimal, they'll eventually add up to one huge fearsome momentum! Your end is nigh, o Theorist!

During the next wave, Vincent began his routine as usual. First, he unleashed Aero Barrage on the enemy wave, then he sliced through them with Aero Slice.

As always, this combo delivered substantial damage. It halved the HP of the bowmen and erased about 30% of the swordsmen's health bars.

Alas, that alone wasn't enough to kill any of the minions. As such, despite Vincent obviously winning lane advantage here, none of this ever put much pressure on Theorist.

Therefore, just like before, the uninvited guest waltzed into Vincent's territory in order to assault his minions. But, little did she know that this time, she was the honored guest! Vincent was more than delighted to provide hospitality for her, in his own special way.

She does not seem to suspect a thing. Vincent inferred from Theorist's lax approach. The Monk woman had no problem turning her back to Vincent while she was farming his minions.

You used to be more vigilant than this, my friend. Vincent thought back on the first few interactions they had. Back then, Theorist didn't take her eyes off Vincent for longer than 1.5 seconds. Indeed, Theorist was the very incarnate of the All-Seeing Eye back then!