Vol.12 Ch.8: Kai's Resolution

Yuel started the long-awaited match review, the dreadful ritual that'll expose everybody's weaknesses in public. His first victim was Kai.

"Let's start from the first game." Yuel played the video. The first scene showed Kai recklessly picking a fight against TheLegend and almost getting herself killed.

"We're really going there, huh?" Kai averted her eyes. They had just started the meeting and she was already shuddering. It looks like Luke was right for once. This thing is going to be one serious public shaming rollercoaster.

"Please make sure to watch it," Yuel insisted. "I know it's hard to come face-to-face with your mistakes, especially the embarrassing ones, but you have to get used to it."

"Yep," Lars followed up. "Take it from me, yo. When we just started playing together, Yuel reminded me 24/7 that I'm a total scrub, haha."

"I don't think I ever called you a 'scrub'."

"You didn't use the word, but that's what you were basically saying. Anyway, the point is, dude made me sit through tons of scolding lectures like this. Was it fun? Nope, not at all. But, I'm still alive, right? And, I think I've gotten pretty good thanks to that."

"No pain, no gain," Vincent added. "There is no doubt we all will encounter countless hardships along the way. However! Overcoming these hardships shall steel our hearts and make us better players than we ever before!"

"Alright, alright." Kai sighed and turned back to the screen. Everybody and their mom were on her case, so she couldn't wiggle her way out of this. Just you wait until your turns. I wanna see you talking big then.

"Okay, so about this play," Yuel continued. "Let's watch it first from start to end."

In the video, Kai assaulted TheLegend, got into an awkward 10 IQ duel, and the entire thing ended with her running for her life. It was a beautiful Bronze-quality performance.

Just kill me. Like, right now. Kai facepalmed with both hands and hung her head. This might just be the most embarrassing moment of her life.

"Let's keep watching," Yuel insisted. "There's more."

Next, it showed another stupid fight she picked against TheLegend. After that, there were two examples of reckless fights she picked against Renegade.

In all these cases, Kai recklessly took the initiative and went on the offensive. And, every time, it ended in a disaster. She either barely made it out alive, or she didn't survive at all.

"In Games 3 and 4 in particular," Yuel said. "These deaths gave the enemy tremendous momentum. It won't be an exaggeration to say they sealed the team's fate."

"Yeah, you're right." Kai didn't have the willpower to resist. She felt naked in front of the crowd. This video laid bare her most embarrassing mistakes. She was hoping to sweep all these embarrassing moments under the rug, but there was no escape from her scrubby past.

"Now, let me ask you this," Yuel leveled a question to the audience. "What was the recurring mistake in all these examples?"

"Kai got her ass whooped real hard!" Luke laughed.

"Yes, that was the end result," Yuel agreed. "But, even if she won some of these fights, I'd still count them as misplays."

"Wut?" Luke cocked his head. "How will it be a misplay if she wins? That shit makes no sense."

"Victory or defeat, that's just the end result. It's the decision-making process that matters. Do you agree, Kai?"

"I think I know what you wanna say." Kai sighed. "You're saying I picked bad fights."