Vol.12 Ch.22: What Ben Really Wants

Both sides agreed on holding a 3v3 basketball match. Or, more correctly, Mike baited Lars into accepting this unfavorable deal. Their chances of victory seemed slim at best.

They had ten minutes to prepare. It gave them a little time to warm up and form a strategy, as well as let Ben rest up before asking him to run around the court again.

"So, that's how things turned out," Yuel explained the circumstances to Vincent and Ben.

"Such an unexpected twist!" Vincent made noise. "The underdog Classmancers club challenges the basketball club! Who will walk away with victory!? It's the match of the century!"

That was probably the clown's attempt to inject some positivity into their grim situation. Admittedly, listening to that overhyped nonsense made Yuel smile a little. And, Lars was totally into it as usual.

"Ya got it, dude!" Lars pumped a fist. "We're about to make history here! This match gonna make it into the newspapers, yoooooo!"

Unlike them, the last member of the team wasn't nearly as enthusiastic.

"A match?" Ben mumbled weakly. "But, why?"

"As I explained," Yuel repeated. "We're trying to prove our club is every bit as competitive as theirs. Does it make sense? Not a whole lot, to be honest."

"Then, why...?"

"The way I see it, this is a roundabout way to solve the problem by force without resorting to actual violence."

"But, we're going to lose..."

"I agree, the odds are against us. But, Lars might pull through for us. You might not know it but he's pretty good at basketball."

"Yeah, pretty good." Lars nodded. "Wait, 'pretty good'? What do you mean 'pretty good'!? I'm da best, yo! These dudes are nothing, believe it!"

"Yes, you are."

Indeed, Lars was a prodigy basketball player. In fact, this goof was so strong that many would consider it a waste that he was focusing on Classmancers instead.

Unfortunately, this wasn't going to be a 1v1 match. It'll be a 3v3 and the enemy team was packed with three members of the basketball club. Their average power level was clearly above Lars's team.

Therefore, Yuel couldn't completely ease Ben's worries. They were the underdogs in this fight, no two ways about it. It'll be an uphill battle.

"I think it's better to give up," Ben said weakly and hung his head. "There's no way we can beat them. They don't take the club that seriously but they've been playing from a young age. They're strong players."

"Oh, cool!" Lars grinned. "Sounds like they might actually pose some challenge, hehe."

"Ah..." Ben was speechless. It felt like everything he said backfired at him. Even in front of such an impossible challenge, Lars didn't waver in the slightest. It was amazing, even dazzling.

I wish I could be this fearless. Ben thought.

Unlike Lars, Ben has been quaking in his boots ever since he learned of this match. His insides twisted to no end. He felt like an impending disaster was on its way.

Why are they doing this? Ben couldn't fathom it. They should quit before something happens to them. Who knows what Mike and the others will do if they snap. This is supposed to be my punishment, nobody else should get involved.

"Why? I don't understand," Ben said. "Why do you need to get involved in all of this?"

"That's elementary, my friend." Vincent smiled meaningfully. "It's because you're our friend. We can't throw you to the wolves like this. In fact, I must apologize to you. I've been aware of your situation for quite some time but I haven't found a solution until now."