Vol.11 Ch.18: The Flaws of Playing Safe

"RELEASE THE-" the Pirate shouted at the top of his lungs. He was about to unleash this devastating attack on a prey who couldn't budge from his spot!

It was over. Jaiden was about to topple the unbeatable beast!

WHOOSH! Water erupted from the ground.

"Whoa-!?" Jaiden found himself floating in mid-air all of a sudden. His casting was interrupted. "Dang, he made it!?"

It was Aquamancer's Geyser Eruption. A wild Chessmaster appeared!

"Yooooooo, dude!" Lars jumped in his seat. He'd totally hug Yuel right now if he had the luxury to do so. "That was one heck of a save!"

"Focus on the Aeromancer," Yuel said sharply. They had no time to waste. This was a critical situation and every millisecond counted. They had to diffuse this terrible situation as neatly as possible and keep the Mid Turret alive.

"I'm on it!" Lars whiffed his fourth headshot. The dread of the incoming Kraken distracted him for just a moment, making him lose the delicate concentration necessary for landing consecutive headshots.

But, the storm has passed. Now, the 200% accuracy sniper was back in business! And, his target was still stunned, so this gonna be was ezpz. BAM! Another headshot!

Nirvana was already down to 30% HP. Lars needed like three more headshots to seal the deal. With Yuel here, there was nothing to worry about! Lars could keep pressing this offense all the way through and kill Nirvana!

Or, so he thought. In a blink of an eye, Nirvana's HP went up from 30% to 40%.

"Eh?" Lars blinked. What kinda wizardry was that? Potions couldn't restore that much HP all at once. These little bottles always took their sweet time, filling up the health bar one pixel at a time.

Aeromancer didn't have any healing abilities either and dude was stunned in the first place. So, what gives?

As Lars strained his eyes, he noticed a figure standing behind Nirvana. It was the Cleric, Laplace. When did that guy even get there!?

"Retreat," Yuel ordered.

"Yeah..." Lars grumped but nonetheless followed the instructions. With the Cleric here, the tides shifted back in the enemy's favor. Lars and Yuel had no choice but to fall back to the tower.

The unexpected rotation from the Cleric halted the entire momentum of the fight.

"Thanks, Rio," Raymond said. "You saved me."

"I just healed you a little," Rio said.

"It's not just that. Your presence here made them give up their offense." Raymond deduced as much from the enemy's movements. The enemy figured they'll struggle in a 2v3 situation, so they fell back.

In fact, Rio's presence here has shifted the tides in our favor. Raymond reasoned. Lane control returned to Taurus, so they could keep raiding the Mid Turret.

But, should we? Raymond pondered.

Normally, he wanted nothing more than to disengage once the situation became risky. But, was that really the right thing to do here?

The Gunslinger no longer had his Fan the Hammer and the Aquamancer's Overflow wasn't ready yet. On top of that, Geyser Eruption was on cooldown. In other words, the enemy didn't have access to their most threatening tools.

Meanwhile, Jaiden still had his Kraken that was interrupted earlier, and Rio had his Arise. As such, Taurus was winning here not only in terms of sheer numbers but also in terms of utility and threat levels.