Vol.12 Ch.23: Basketball Game, Start!

Before the basketball match kicked off, both sides agreed on a 10-minutes recess.

Mike's team used this time to warm up. They partially warmed up back when they were practicing shooting drills, but they had cooled down since then when they were busy messing with Ben for the past hour or so.

"Say, Mike," Larry spoke while stretching his arms. "Why didn't you just accept the 1v1? Wouldn't that be faster?"

"Hm." Mike gave a vague response as he dribbled a ball. Honestly, he had no idea either. Why didn't he accept a 1v1 against that clown? He couldn't quite put it into words but his instincts told him it was risky.

"Heh." James snickered. "Don't tell me you're scared of that dude?"

"Hmph, as if." Mike shot a glare at James, making the guy squirm a little. "It just makes more sense to play 3v3. I mean, basketball is a team game, right? It should be played with teams."

"Really?" Larry asked. "Isn't 1v1 your strongest suit?"

"So what if it is? It doesn't change the fact this is firstmost a team game. Besides, if they think they can challenge us as a 'club', it makes sense to make them bring more than one player, right? That Lars guy might be good at basketball but I'm sure the rest of them suck hard."

It was difficult to assess Lars's skill level at a glance, but his tall posture and sturdy frame implied he was quite the athlete. And, seeing as he dared to challenge Mike head-on, it was clear he had some basketball experience. But, the same couldn't be said about the nerdy boy by his side.

Yuel, was it? Mike vaguely recalled the name. Honestly, the guy didn't leave much of an impression. He was nothing more than a backup for Lars, who was the actual main force of the club. I gonna bet this Yuel guy plays Support, heh.

Unlike with Lars, there wasn't any hint that this Yuel fellow was any good at basketball or at sports at all. Maybe he wasn't a fatass like Ben, but neither did he have an athletic build. Yuel looked like one of these skinny nerds, the typical gamer who pretended he was an athlete while sitting on his ass the whole day.

Seeing this guy was what sparked the 3v3 idea. It was far safer to challenge an unknown enemy when he had weak teammates dragging him down. This way, no matter how good Lars was at basketball, there was no chance he'd ever win, not even by accident.

And, to add some more spice to the setup, Mike nominated Ben as the third member of that lousy team. That was going to be the final nail in Lars's coffin. It was the perfect setup, far safer than accepting a 1v1 against an opponent of unknown skill.

Hmph. It's not like I think Lars actually got anything on me. Mike scoffed. But, better safe than sorry. I can't embarrass myself in a 1v1. They challenged us in our own game, on our own turf. So, we gotta mop the floor with them no matter what.

Mike's preparations were flawless. No matter how good Lars turns out to be, the guy won't be able to carry that sorry excuse for a team all by himself. That dumbass dug his own grave when he challenged Mike.

The agreed 10 minutes have passed. Both teams gathered at the center of the court.

Good. Mike smiled to himself. The enemy team complied with his request to a T and dragged Ben to participate in this match without objecting any further. Honestly, I was expecting them to resist a little more. Oh well. It gonna a cakewalk. Though, I'm not sure I care for that look on Ben's face...

"Huh, so you're playing." Mike towered over Ben and glared at the fat kid.

"A-Ah, yeah..." Ben stuttered and averted his eyes. "You asked me to play, right?"