Vol.9 Ch.19: She Who Dodges Everything

Finally, the team created a 1v1 situation for Kai and TheLegend. Surely, that bastard was going to come out and fight her now! Except, the guy didn't budge.

Kai even briefly placed herself inside the tower area while her minions were tanking it. But, TheLegend ignored her and worked on clearing the minions first.

"Damn, what's going on with you guys?" Bruce ranted. "Zeph died, Bryan died, and now Dyl almost died. The fuck are y'all doing?"

"I warned you back then," Zeph shrugged. "These guys are better than you think. At least, the guy I'm fighting in lane is pretty damn high-level. To be honest, it doesn't even feel like I'm playing against a middle schooler."

"Bah, excuses." Bruce rolled his eyes.

"I agree with Zeph," Bryan tuned in. "These guys know a thing or two. I'm not saying they're better than us or anything, but they're better than we expected. We gotta treat them like decent players. Seems like this year, Stratus ain't gonna be a free win like we thought."

"No way," Bruce insisted. "These guys got two chicks on the team and their captain is one too. Are you seriously telling me ya think these guys are good? Ain't buying it."

"Then, how about you show us how it's done, boss?" Dylan suggested. "You're 1-on-1 with that chick, right? Kick her ass. Show us that these guys got nothing for us."

"Yeah, do it, big boy," Zeph added.

"Prove that you're a man," Bryan egged him as well.

"Heh," Bruce sneered. "That's the kinda low IQ thinking that's keeping you guys at low level. Yeah, a '1-on-1', sure. Doncha see the two players in the Jungle over there? They can rotate here anytime. I ain't dealing with that."

"Fair enough," Dyl nodded and the rest agreed too.

"Heh, dumbasses," Bruce grinned triumphantly. "Ya gotta use that brain of yours sometimes, ya know?"

You're the last person I want to hear this from. Bryan narrowed his eyes. The rest had similar thoughts.

At his core, Bruce was just a dumbass. But, he was pretty strong, both inside and outside the game. He had this something about him that made people follow his lead. That's what made him the leader of the gang. He wasn't the official captain of the team, but most people considered him such.

In theory, Raymond, the actual captain, was stronger. But, he rarely showed off his strength and he never boasted about it, so he didn't come across as a firm figure of authority. On the other hand, Bruce took any opportunity to stand out and pretend he was the hottest shit ever. So, at some point, everybody started believing he was really all that, even though, deep down, they knew he was just a show-off jackass.

Even in this shitty situation, you ain't gonna say anything, cap? Bryan threw a glance at Raymond. The number of words that came from the guy's mouth since game-start could be counted on one hand. That was no way for a captain to be. That's why nobody genuinely respected Raymond as the captain and instead treated Bruce as the true top dog.

"Anyway, don't worry," Bruce grinned at them. "Once I get a proper 1v1 situation, I'mma mop the floor with that chick. She gonna uninstall the game after I'm done with her, khaha!"

Meanwhile, on the other side, the waiting game continued.

"He's not coming," Kai muttered. "I don't get it. I thought he gonna attack me the first chance he gets."

"Yeah, it's a little odd," Yuel frowned. Based on the data he gathered on TheLegend, the guy was prideful and would take any opportunity to prove he was the best in the world. Even his IGN screamed that mentality. So, he should've jumped on the opportunity to fight Kai 1v1. And yet, TheLegend was avoiding combat. Why?