Vol.13 Ch.1: Killing Race

In one of ProCenter's stadiums, a scrimmage was taking place. It was a rather one-sided match, one that escalated more and more the longer it went on.

『DOUBLE KILL』

『UNSTOPPABLE』

These messages popped up on Cato's screen. Unfortunately, the achievements didn't belong to him.

"My, aren't you feisty today." Cato smiled impishly.

"I just want to get this over with," William said. "This is getting old. They're clearly not at our level."

Even though they were on top of a stage, playing in front of a big audience, their voices didn't betray a single hint of tension. And, why would they be tense? This was already their second scrimmage this year. Not to mention, today's match was just as one-sided as the previous one.

The score was already 16-1. Oh wait, that's wrong. It's already 17-1, thanks to William being such a reliable killing machine. He killed enemies faster than Cato could count up.

Of course, Classmancers wasn't so simple of a sport, so the kill count didn't always tell the entire story. However, when the gap was this big, it painted a very clear picture.

"My, you really don't know how to chill, do you?" Cato smiled wryly. "Think about these poor guys. You've been whooping them for three games straight now. Don't you think they deserve a little breather?"

"Hmph. It's not my fault they're so weak." William scoffed. "Honestly, I don't know what we're still doing here. Coach should've subbed us out after the second game. The result should've been decisive enough."

"Oh, I'm sure it was." Cato recalled the last two rounds. The team thoroughly crushed their opponents with scores of 26-0 and 39-1. Not only did the enemy fail to adapt for the second game, but they folded even harder than before. Calling it "one-sided" didn't even begin to describe it.

But, that outcome was only natural. The enemy team had much weaker pieces: four players that were as good as "pawns", and one player that could roughly qualify as a "knight".

On the other hand, Cato's team was filled to the brim with strong pieces. Just he and William already counted as two "rooks", though William probably saw himself more on par with a "queen".

If there was a piece stronger than a rook and weaker than a queen, then that'd be his piece. Cato smiled to himself as he analyzed the game board as if it was chess.

With such a substantial difference in specs between the two teams, a result like 26-0 for the first game was inevitable. On top of that, the first game allowed Cato to get a better read on his opponents. So, with better-optimized shot-calling, he enforced a 39-1 for the second round.

The team played both games almost perfectly, dominating the opposition while suffering minimal losses. There was only one rush idiot who stained their perfect record twice in a row, both last game and this game...

"Dang, bro!" Ronald exclaimed. "You sure work fast! Nice kill!"

"These guys are just that easy," William said evenly.

"Yep, they're scrubby alright." Ronald nodded. "But, don't you think you've won just yet! You're only two kills ahead of me, so I'mma catch up in no time!"

"You will try." William felt no pressure from his younger brother's bold deceleration. I'll win again for sure.

"Hey Ronald," Cato spoke up. "I don't mind you competing for kills, but don't chase them too hard. You're ruining our perfect score and I don't want another lecture from the coach."