Vol.12 Ch.31: Duels Aren't Everything

After Kai lost the ball and allowed Mike to score, it was time for a new attack.

I'll get him this time! Kai dashed outside the three-pointer line. "Ben!"

"Tch!" Mike quickly gave chase. He was the closest one at the moment, so he had to mark the girlie for now.

Unfortunately, he was too late. By the time he got to his target, the girl had already received the ball. The way she constantly urged her teammates to move was worthy of a little respect, but just a little.

I better yell at Jay too so he speeds things up. Mike thought. Anyway, time to wreck this girl again and even the score.

It was their second confrontation. A duel between the two "captains", so to speak. Though, as far as Mike was concerned, Lars was the real leader of that team. Meanwhile, this girl was just a mild annoyance, nothing more.

What's with that smug? Kai daggered the bastard with her glare. You think you've already won, huh?

A wave of heat passed across Kai's body. She felt blood swirling inside her like a storm. This time, she was going to mop this-

"Heeeey!" Lars's voice interrupted her thoughts again. "Over here, dude!"

Once again, Lars looked like a good target for a pass. Larry was already marking him, but it seemed Lars had no trouble shaking that mark off. Kai could probably get the ball to him quite easily. Yeah, she definitely could, but...

Sorry, but I have to do this. Kai dribbled the ball as she glared at her opponent.

"Oh?" Mike sneered as he towered over her. She still thinks she can beat me? She's dumber than I thought.

Mike thought all that but he didn't say it out loud. It could serve as a nice provocation, but it was a little risky. This was a convenient situation for him, so why tell the girlie she was committing a grave mistake?

In fact, the possibility of the girl passing the ball to Lars was a little scary. Larry was a decent defender but he won't be able to keep up with Lars. So, if the ball reaches Lars right now, it'll result in two points for the enemy. Mike had to prevent that at any cost.

"C'mon," Mike urged the girl with a smug. "Show me what you got, girlie."

"Oh, I'll show you." Kai dribbled the ball from side to side again. But, this time, she made sure to create extra space between herself and the opponent. It'll be bad if Mike goes for another sudden steal, so Kai had to be on her toes against that.

I dunno what she's doing. Mike thought. But, it's a fact she somehow tripped both Jay and Larry. Well, Jay is a dumbass, so even a grade school could whoop his sorry ass in a 1v1. But, Larry knows his stuff. He wouldn't just slip on his ass like an idiot.

Taking all that into account, it was clear this girl had some sort of trick up her sleeve. She probably went for some unexpected move that confused the defender. There were a few players with weird techniques like that in the basketball club so it wasn't anything new. Sure, it was a little surprising that this girlie like her had a weapon like this, but that's about it.

I'll just crush her before she gets a chance to pull anything. Mike charged forward.

I knew you'll come. Kai carefully dribbled away from the assaulter. You're acting like I'm trash but it's clear you're wary of what I can do. A classic coward who's pretending he's confident.

It was becoming more and more apparent that Mike's arrogance was just a facade he wore to provoke her. In truth, the guy was scared shitless of her high-level technique. That scum was like a cornered animal that lashed at its attacker out of fear.