Vol.14 Ch.2: A Greeting From the Landberht Princess

There was a pack of bodyguards in black suits, surrounding a familiar blonde girl. That's the oppressive scene that greeted Yuel and the others on their way to the waiting room.

Perhaps this image didn't tell much to the others, but it sent a shiver down Yuel's spine.

"Um, guys..." Yuel nervously looked around. "Let's take another route-"

"Yuel Fermond," the blonde girl called out as if sensing Yuel's intentions from afar.

Oh no... Yuel forced a weak smile as he slowly turned to greet the gallant figure.

"Good day to you," the girl greeted him.

"G-Good day..." Yuel squeezed out a reply while gulping. Why is she here? This is the last place where I'd ever expect to run into her...

"Oh!" Vincent exclaimed. "Are you not Fiona Landberht, the princess of the chess world!?"

"Yes, I'm Fiona," the girl replied with an elegant smile. "Nice to meet you all, fellow members of Stratus."

Wait, what? Sweat formed on Yuel's forehead. Why would she know the name of a Classmancers team? There's absolutely no reason for somebody like her to possess such knowledge. Unless she's... gulp.

"'tis must be a whim of fate!!" Vincent bowed deeply. "I'm honored to be in your presence, your highness!"

"Please, raise your head," Fiona requested. "The title of a 'princess' is nothing more than the media's exaggeration In truth, I'm but a teenager, just like the rest of you."

"One heck of a beautiful teenager," Luke whispered to his clubmates, but they ignored his usual shenanigans.

At least, he had the decency to say that in a low voice instead of openly hitting on the princess. Playful as he was, the peasant knew his place in the hierarchy.

However, not everybody shared the same sentiment about the gallant figure in front of them.

"So, is she someone famous?" Kai asked.

"But, of course she is!" Vincent exclaimed. "In the media, she is known as the 'Ladnberth Princess', the young sensation of the chess world!"

"A princess?" Kai raised an eyebrow. Well, she does look kinda pretty...

It was a bit irksome that Kai had to raise her head a little in order to look at Fiona's face. Even though Kai was decently tall for a girl her age, Fiona was even taller.

The so-called "princess" was definitely pretty. There was no need to be a playboy like Luke in order to realize that.

However, at the same time, there was something a bit intimidating about this gallant figure. She was pretty and elegant, but also tall and majestic. It was a combination Kai has only ever since in movies, not in real life.

Still, I dunno about calling her a "princess". Kai was stuck on that one point for some reason. She's more than just a pretty face, that's for sure.

A closer inspection of the girl's features revealed that her arms were a bit muscular. Not in a way that stood out too much, but definitely a lot more than you'd expect from some "princess".

Anyway, this girl wasn't the sheltered type, that's for sure. This put Vincent's info into question.

"Is she really a chess player?" Kai asked. "I mean, with a build like this..."

"A good observation, cap!" Vincent nodded as if he has been waiting for this. "Chess is simply the topic that makes the headlines most frequently when it comes to the Landberht Princess. Frankly, I suspect there is some marketing propaganda behind it. Perhaps, the media devils are trying to tempt other girls into partaking at chess."