Vol.13 Ch.15: The Lioness's Confident Aggression

The duel between Cato and Fiona continued. Cato was holding the upper hand the entire fight, but...

She's really playing well this time. Cato almost found himself grumping.

After recalling, Fiona soon returned to lane and contested it. But, thanks to Cato's continued harassment, the so-called "Esmeralda Strat", Fiona lost a lot of HP once more.

So, how did the girl respond? She simply recalled again, without trying any funny ideas like attacking Cato. What a shame.

In fact, Fiona repeated this routine three times in a row without batting an eye. Her perseverance as a chess player was showing itself.

My, you think you'll get your chance if you keep playing like this? Cato respected the fighting spirit, if nothing else.

Even when faced with such a depressing situation, the strategist in Fiona must have been whispering to her: "As long as you preserve, you'll get your chance." That must have been the underlying belief that motivated her to keep going despite Cato's continued harassment.

What a tough nut to crack. Cato smiled wryly. This was both amusing and irritating at the same time. Every time Fiona retreated, there was a slight urge to chase the girl and smite her down. And, with each recall, that itch grew stronger and stronger.

It's almost like she's turning the tables on me psychologically. Cato realized. Instead of being the aggravator, somehow he was the one who started feeling aggravated.

Five times. Yes, five times Fiona endured Cato's bullying, retreated, and recalled to base. This was a miserable Duel in every sense of the word. There was neither strength nor beauty to be found in how Fiona conducted herself.

And yet, her method was effective. Her unyielding fighting spirit was as delightful as it was irritating.

C'mon, do something. Cato ranted. Attack me. Hit me. Surely, you aren't planning to continue like this the entire game, are you?

His Golem was perfectly healthy while Fiona's already fell all the way down to 40%. As such, it was clear beyond a shadow of a doubt who was dominating the lane. Truly, Cato was winning in every possible aspect. He even out-leveled his opponent.

And yet, somehow, the situation almost looked even. It felt as if Fiona was properly matching Cato as an equal, as absurd as that sounded.

But, I'm stronger! Cato proclaimed. Alright then, let's do it in the next wave. Once I gear up, I'll be ready to kick that princess off the high horse.

Cato forced Fiona to retreat once more. She ran past her Golem and disappeared around the corner.

As always, Fiona made sure to recall outside Cato's field of view to keep him on his toes. It was a very textbook play.

Even when it was 90% confirmed that a player was going to recall, it was always good to make the opponent question the remaining 10%. Anything that made the opponent doubt their data had a chance to affect the course of battle, no matter how small it was.

But of course, I know she's going to recall. Cato ignored that mild trickery and began recalling on the spot.

Yes, he recalled right there, right in front of the enemy tower's area. Why? Because he had nothing to worry about.

The faster I recall, the faster I can get back to lane. It was as simple as that. There was nobody for him to fear and there was no need to hide his actions from an enemy who was on her way to recall. Therefore, Cato simply went for the fastest and most efficient recall.