Vol.12 Ch.18: Ben's Two Worlds

The gym was just recently occupied by the basketball club, but now it was almost empty. Only four figures remained, apparently in charge of gathering the loose balls and tidying up the place.

It was an easy enough task. With four pairs of hands, they should've finished the job a long time ago. Yet, an "accident" took place.

Bop. Bop. Bop. A basketball jumped away, like a rabbit making its escape.

"Oh, crap!" Larry apologized. "Sorry, my hand slipped. Hey, Meatball! Can you bring that ball too?"

"O-Okay," Ben answered through labored breaths. Sweat was dripping off his forehead. For how long has he been doing this? He lost track of time by now. His legs were aching. The muscles were screaming in pain.

But, he couldn't stop in place. His friends asked him to bring the ball, so he had to comply. That's what friends were for, right? They were supposed to help each other.

"C'mon, chop-chop," James urged. "The ball is getting away. We don't have all day, ya know."

"I'm on it." Ben collected his breath and ran after the fleeing basketball.

Why was he running? There was no hurry, there shouldn't have been. This was just an easy task of collecting all the balls and placing them back in the basket. That's all they had to do here today. Ben could've just walked to the ball at his own pace and collected it. But...

"What's with that speed, Meatball?" Mike demanded. "That's what you call 'running'? A granny walks faster than that!"

"I-I'm sorry!" Ben choked as he tried to apologize through labored breaths. It was painful. The very act of breathing felt like it was choking him from the inside.

After running back and forth countless times in a row his whole body turned to lead. Every time he pushed his body forward, it felt like dragging a sack packed with bricks.

I... I need... I need to get the ball... Ben repeated time and again in his head. If he didn't remind himself of the importance of the task, his body would buckle over right away. They're asking me to help... I need to help... Yeah...

Finally, Ben reached the ball. It rolled all the way to the edge of the gym as if trying to escape from the area. As silly as it sounded, Ben found himself sympathizing with this ball. I wish I could just roll out of here as well...

But, Ben couldn't do that. His friends were here, relying on his help. Therefore, he had to help. It was his punishment.

"C'mon!" James yelled across the court with a grin. "I gonna time ya. Sprint like your life depends on it!"

"O-Okay!" Ben shouted a reply across the court and almost tripped from the daze. His body couldn't keep going for much longer. When will this be over? I need to rest...

But, Ben didn't voice any of these complaints. He did as he was told and dashed along with the ball. That was his job here. He was like a soldier following orders. As long as he accomplished his missions, nobody will complain and nobody will hate him.

Therefore, Ben ran to the best of his ability.

"You call that running?" Mike criticized. "I can crawl faster than this."

"S-Sorry!" Ben apologized as he wobbled forth. Almost there... Just a little more... Just a little...

A few more steps and he'll safely deliver the ball to its destination. After that, it will no longer matter what happens to his body. I just need to complete this last mission and we're done...!