Wild and Free

Nash POV

I leave the kitchen to give Cam and Matt privacy but also to find Carter and try to figure out what's going on.

I wander through different rooms in Gilinsky's house. Why did it have to be a mansion? I finally find Carter in the basement game room area, he's sitting on the couch staring at the black screen of the television.

"Bro, what's up?" I ask him and I sit down next to him. He looks at me and I notice his eyes are red.

"I think I just fucked up my relationship beyond repair..." he chokes out, fresh tears falling down his cheek.

"Fuck... " he mutters as he wipes his cheeks. "He makes me so fucking emotional."

"It's because you love him, Carter." I tell him softly. "And I really think it's time you're honest with yourself. You are in love with Matthew, the fact that he's a boy bothers you. You really need to figure out if you're actually okay with being in a relationship with a guy because this is tearing Matt apart. He loves you so much and always puts your happiness above his. He's in Cam's arms right now crying his heart out because he thinks you guys are over for real."

Carter gasps and then looks guilty, he rubs his eyes. "I... I told him if he doesn't agree to the whole dare story that we were over. He told me he was tired of hiding. He said we don't have to say anything, just go about our lives as normal. I... I don't know I just feel like I can't not address it, what if it gets to my parents?"

"Carter, we're going to be seniors next year and after that we're free. If you really love Matt then you'll fight for him. Once you're off to college your parents won't have much control over you. If they find out, then explain the situation as mature as possible, and if they don't like it, you're out of there in a year anyway. Don't fuck up your future with Matt, you guys have been through so much and I know the feelings are genuine," I advise him. He's quiet after I'm done talking, he's staring at the floor.

"I'm such a fucking idiot," he says after a while. "I can't imagine my future without him. You are so fucking right, Nash. Once I'm in college, my parents won't have any control over me. Matt and I have so many plans for our future. How could I ever think I could live without him?"

He stands up and I stand with him.

"Where are Matt and Cam?" He asks me and I smile because I know I got through to him. I should start a couples counseling center, I'm pretty good at this.

"They were in the kitchen, here I'll take you." I tell him and lead him to the kitchen.

Cam has his arms wrapped around Matt as we enter the kitchen, I clear my throat awkwardly and Cam pulls away from Matt who turns towards us. Matt takes a step towards Carter but stops when he realizes what he's doing.

I go and stand next to Cam as Carter nervously approaches Matt. Matt crosses his arms as Carter stops in front of him.

I know we should leave but I kinda don't want to miss this. Carter lifts his hand and wipes Matt's tears, Matt can't keep his composure and starts to cry again when Carter wraps his arms around him and pulls him close.

"I'm such a fool, Matt." He states softly. "How could I ever live without you? You're literally my best friend, you're everything to me. I keep letting my stupid fears override my true feelings. And the truth is I love you, I love you more than anyone or anything else. You're the most important person in my life and somehow I always fuck up. I know I don't deserve it, I don't deserve you but please baby can you give me one more chance?"

Matt is silent for a while he just cries into Carter's shoulder. I grip Cam's hand nervously, I want them to work out so bad. They're our closest friends, the ones with whom we can be ourselves 100%.