2022, Jul 22 - Jungkook (What Are They Hiding From Me?)

[Place: Hospital]

The days in the hospital were tedious and boring. If I'd been hurt and felt pain somewhere, it might've been better. As I recovered, time passed but insanely slow. I'd be discharged a few days from now. My eommeoni stopped by to see me from time to time and so did my friends. The most recent visit was made by the police officer. I'd been told that there was an eyewitness a month ago, but he hadn't come forward.

"It happens all the time. You see how they'd find it bothersome," said the officer.

He seemed to find this case bothersome too. Instead of finding the hit and run driver, he seemed more keen on closing the case.

I looked out the window. Strangely enough, the surveillance video and my memories of that night replayed in my head everytime I close my eyes. I watched the accident taking place from different angles. When I did, the car, which was faint in my memory, slowly took on the shape of Seokjin hyung's car. And it was the same for the driver's face. Was I seeing what had happened that night, or just what I was suspicious of? I couldn't tell.

It was then that I saw two people I knew walking across the hospital parking lot. They were Jimin hyung and Yoongi hyung. When they left the parking lot, they turned left. Why had they come here? And why did they not stop by to see me?

I called Jimin hyung. The ringing continued for a long time until he picked up.

"Hello? Jungkook-ah!" The person outside the hospital also answered his phone.

"Where are you?"

"You mean now?" And Jimin hyung didn't answer for a long time.

The other guy outside the hospital shook his head. He was telling Jimin hyung not to tell me.

"I'm on my way home from hagwon (academy). Why?" Jimin hyung answered awkwardly.

"No reason. Get home safely." I hung up in a hurry.

Why did they lie to me? Why had they come here? Was it related to the police officer who had come to see me today? Or to the witness who wouldn't---.

I replayed what the officer had said. The witness had called me three times, all from public phone. He sounded urgent at first, but later on, he went back on his word and said he couldn't remember.

Was the witness one of my friends?