2021, Apr 12 - Seokjin (Can I Be That Person For Jungkook?)

[Places: School, Kim's house, his room]

Staying with Jungkook instead of going to the ceremony seems like a good choice. Jungkook didn't jump from the rooftop, and I was even able to stop Namjoon's accident. But I decide to take care of Jungkook for a few more days because I'm worried.

I'm waiting for Jungkook, when...

"It's been a while, Kim Seokjin."

A familiar voice. I turn around to see the principal standing there.

"Have you been well?"

"I didn't think I'd see you here... But it's nice to see you. What brings you here?"

(A/N: Loop #2: I was thinking about school.)

"I stopped by because I was thinking about school."

"Oh, I'm very thankful. You didn't forget about your teacher and came to visit him."

It's uncomfortable as always.

"I'll be going then."

"Oh, but Seokjin. The inauguration ceremony yesterday."

"Pardon?"

"I thought you'd be there, but you weren't. Did something happen?" The question is unexpected. "Why weren't you there?"

(A/N: Loop #1: Answer honestly.)

"A friend had an emergency and I couldn't attend."

"A friend?"

Jungkook happens to exit the school gates just then. He walks over slowly. "Hello."

The principal nods towards Jungkook before continuing. "Yes... Things happen. However, Seokjin. Next time, think about what's truly important before acting. Then... I'll see you next time."

"... Yes."

*"I should call the Assemblyman sometime soon, too."* The principal smiles pointedly.

Is he going to tell him that I met with Jungkook? He never approved of us spending time together even while I was at school. Abeoji thinks it's useless to have human relationships that don't help you succeed.

"Have a safe trip."

I glance at the reflection of the principal in the back mirror. He watches as we get further and further out of sight. It feels ominous.

(A/N: Moments after)

Abeoji looks exhausted today. Though we're similar heights, he still seems like a massive grey wall.

"Why didn't you attend the inauguration ceremony yesterday?"

(A/N: Loop #1: Be honest.)

"Actually... A friend had an emergency and I couldn't attend."

"A friend?"

Has my excuse worked? He finally speaks about a long moment of quiet.

"The one thing I want from you is for you to be a good son."

"Yes."

"I don't think it's a difficult task. You may leave."

I gave him a slight nod before turning away. I can hear abeoji pick up the phone receiver and press the call button.

"Come in, Mr. Song."

Seeing Junho samcheon open the door and walk in makes me worried that my flimsy excuse will fall apart. I did run into the principal, too... I'm suddenly awash in regret, wishing I had come up with a better excuse. Despite my uneasiness, Namjoon and Jungkook are safe. I wonder if Jungkook is okay now? Will abeoji let this slide without making it into a bigger problem?

So many things worry me. But I have no choice but to keep going and trust it'll work out. If Jungkook has someone he can lean on for comfort whenever he needs it, he might now resort to such an extreme choice.

Can I... Be that person for Jungkook?