2022, Jul 24 - Jungkook (The Evidence)

[Place: Container Town]

On the wall of the container, it was written "Jungkook-ah. Congratulations on getting discharged!" But the atmosphere didn't seem like it. The air inside the cramped container was bloated from unknown tension. Looking back, it seemed like it was like this often lately.

In a quick second, Seokjin hyung went out, Taehyung hyung quickly followed, others looked at each other and followed. Taehyung hyung said something but it didn't look like Seokjin hyung was listening.

I saw Seokjin hyung get in his car behind others. The car lightly backed out and turned the direction to the side. The light coming out from the container scanned the car. For a second, there was a trace of accident on the bumper of the car and got swallowed by the darkness. The strange thing was that, I didn't feel anything looking at that. Even if it was just confirming something I already knew. When you stand in front facing the solid truth, it wouldn't be strange to feel complicated or get shocked but reality was not like that.

On top of Seokjin hyung's car, that was disappearing into the darkness, the headlight that was came towards me that night overlapped. The feeling of body getting lifted, the moment I couldn't swallow saliva nor could I breathe, the fear that shook my body like a seizure. The unbearable chills that I felt while my consciousness was fading. The shadow of death. The trace of an accident that I saw on the bumper.

I went inside the container. I sat while looking at Jimin hyung's message "Jungkook-ah. Congratulations on getting discharged."

The leg I injured from the accident ached. Others didn't seem to come back in. They were talking about something I didn't know.

***

(A/N: Book version)

Seokjin hyung took off. Taehyung hyung followed him, and after exchanging places, the others followed him too. Taehyung hyung said something to Seokjin hyung, but he didn't seem to be listening. I stood behind everyone and watched Seokjin hyung getting into his car.

The car backed away and turned. The light coming out of the container shined on Seokjin hyung's car. The trace of an accident on the car bumper was visible for a short time and disappeared in the dark. I saw the scratch on the bumper, but strangely, I didn't feel anything. No shock, no boiling anger. It wasn't difficult to come to terms with it either. Everything became abundantly clear now.

The top of Seokjin hyung's car disappearing out of sight merged with the headlights that came at me that night. The feeling of being lifted up in the air, the moment when I couldn't even swallow my own saliva, the fear of having sudden convulsions, the unbearable coldness that scattered my consciousness, the shadow of death lurking about, and the trace of the accident I saw on the car bumper at that moment.

I walked back into the container. I felt a twinge in the injured leg. The others talking about stuff I knew nothing about, and they had no thought of coming back in.