2022, May 18 - Taehyung (Abeoji's Accident)

(A/N: POV #1)

[Places: Convenience store, road]

"That'll be 14,000 won." The customer tosses the money towards me. I stop myself from sighing and collect it. "Would you like a bag?"

"You expect me to just carry it out?"

"Bags are 20 won each."

"Why are you selling bags? Just give it to me."

"The law's changed. I can't give you a bag for free."

"What do you mean?! I don't know about any of that. Just give it to me for free."

"So what I'm saying is..."

🔴

(A/N: Loop #1: Just give him a bag.)

"Hah... Alright." I give up on getting through to him and hand him a bag. I don't think I'd be able to hold my anger in if we argued any longer. I'll just take 20 won of my paycheck later to cover the cost. "Here you go."

"See? You can give it to me! You should've led with that instead of hassling a paying a customer." The customer continues to mutter to himself as he leaves the store.

🔴

(A/N: Loop #2: Respond firmly.)

"... Sir, I can only give you a bag if you give me 20 won." I respond firmly.

The custom furrows his brow. He reaches into a pocket, removing a coin to fling at me. "Acting real cheap over 20 won! Happy now?!" Big talk for someone too cheap to pay the 20 won in the first place. "You begging bastard. Keep this too since you want it so bad!" He flings the change I just gave him back at me before leaving the store.

I'm pelted with coins, and I subconsciously clench my fists as both anger and coins bounce off me. "Hwoo..." But I take a deep breath to steady my emotions before picking the coins up.

🔴

Three rude customers already. "Today isn't a good day." The door to the convenience store suddenly opens. "Welcome." I reflexively greet the customer before realizing that it's Seokjin hyung.

"Hi." Hyung holds up a hand in greeting. He then goes to the other side of the store, picking up a bottle of coffee, before returning to the register.

"That'll be 1,800 won." Seokjin hyung smiles and holds out his credit card.

"How come you've been stopping by so often these days?"

"Huh? Just... I have some things to take care of around here."

I don't know if what he was saying is true. He keeps asking about how I'm doing, so it's a little... A little uncomfortable.

"Did you have more rude customers today?"

"Yeah, a few..."

Hyung asks me meaningless questions as always, and I answer appropriately... as always.

"But, uh..."

"Yes?"

"How's your abeoji?"

"Why do you ask about him?" I can't stop myself. My voice sounds sharper.

Hyung seems to be taken aback by my response. "N-No reason, really. I was just wondering if he was well... Uh... Nevermind."

There's an awkward silence. A customer chooses that moment to walk in.

"Welcome."

It's an abeoji and son - they look rich.

"Appa! I want this!"