The Magical Place

Katerina gasped awake as something was waved under her nose. She looked around where she was but her eyesight was blurry and doubled.

"It seems you passed out," A man noted.

Kat turned her head trying to find the man, she was in some sort of device, a ring of blue light all around her head. Katerina looked got her left and saw the man sitting there having a drink.

"Now maybe you're ready to share what memories you're seeing,"

Kat was panting heavily and looked away from him, remaining silent.

The man lowered his eyes disappointed "Vidis. We're gonna turn the machine back on and open your mind. It's time to stop fighting it. If you don't you won't survive the process,"

"I'll let you kill me before I give you anything." Katerina spat "Seems you have a taste for that anyway. Murdered Mike Peterson in front of his own son,"

The man angrily got out of the chair and walked over to Kat. "Mr. Peterson chose that end. We gave him his life and his child unscathed. You're just upset because that man's death hits so close to home. Seeing a boy lose his father at such a young age. As you lost your mother. A defining moment. The Clairvoyant saw that,"

"I hate to break it to you, but your telepathic friend is a fraud. Otherwise, he'd know all these answers and I wouldn't be here,"

"It's true, this is strange. My friend can see when you birthed when your mother took you on that fateful car ride. What the Clairvoyant can't see is what happened after. For some reason, Vidis, you're hidden. Now, why is that?"

Katerina gave him a little grin but said nothing.

The man smiled back and shook his head "So we have to do this the hard way." He stepped away and Kat's smile dropped.

Katerina watched as a young Asian man walked towards her, he extended some sort of device that had electricity running at the tip of it.

***

The door slowly opened to where Katerina was being kept and a guard brought in a tray of food.

The guard stopped when he saw the bed, the blanket was up covering what looked like Kat's body. The guard walked over and set the tray down on a set of drawers then moved toward the bed. He pulled the cover down and found the '40s housewife mannequin under the blanket. The guard turned to alert someone but his legs were kicked out from under him, Katerina was hiding under the bed.

Kat grabbed the guard in a chokehold and didn't let go until the man stopped struggling.

Once outside Katerina stopped, now able to look around at where her captors had taken her, and she wasn't pleased. It was a deserted town, complete with various mannequins, centered in the desert.

"The town that the bomb forgot,"

Kat aimed the guard's weapon over at the man, who once again had a drink in his hands.

"It was built in the '40s for nuclear testing but when the Cold War ended, the town was spared,"

"Not exactly prime real estate," Katerina quipped.

"Mm, true. There's nothing but desert for hundreds of miles." The man's eyes gleamed with humor, allowing Kat to realize that even if she did pull the trigger, she was stranded. "But I really like it. It's nice here. The children are always playing..."

Katerina rushed toward the man.

A guard appeared from out of thin air and grabbed Kat by her throat.

Katerina's eyes widened in realization.

"Getting the picture now are we, Vidis?" The man teased.

"Christo," Kat muttered, both her captors' eyes flashed with demonic color. "What do you want from me?"

The demon merely smirked, "Shall we get back to it, then?"