Crossroad Blues

Sam and I were sitting at a table, Sam with his laptop open. Onscreen was a mugshot of Dean from the St. Louis Police Department. "I can't believe you got SHIELD to erase this from the Fed's database,"

"I didn't use SHIELD. I used a member of the Rising Tide," I corrected "I told you and Dean, I cut ties with SHIELD, they kept too many secrets from me,"

Sam raised an eyebrow at me "Really...KC? All ties?"

I rolled my eyes "Ok. Maybe not all ties. I just don't work for SHIELD anymore...better?" I asked as I kissed him. We broke apart when Dean returned.

"All right. What do you got on the case there?" Dean asked as he sat down at the table.

Sam shut his computer and pulled out several pages of research. "Architect Sean Boyden plummeted to his death from the roof of his home, a condominium he designed,"

"Hmm. Build a high-rise and jump off the top of it. That's classy. When did he call animal control?"

"Two days earlier," I replied

"Did he actually say Black Dog?"

"Yeah. A vicious, wild, black dog. The authorities couldn't find it, no one else saw it; in fact, the authorities are a little confused as to how a wild dog could get past the doorman, take the elevator up and start roaming the halls of the cushiest joint in town. After that, no more calls, he doesn't show up for work, two days later he takes a swan dive,"

"Do you think we're dealing with an actual Black Dog?"

"Well," Sam said looking over at me "maybe,"

"What's the lore on it?" Dean asked

Sam passed Dean the pages "It's all pretty vague. I mean, there are spectral black dogs all over the world, but...some say they're animal spirits, others say death omens. But anyways, whatever they are, they're big, nasty,"

"Yeah, I bet they could hump the crap outta your leg, look at that one, huh?" Dean held up a picture and smirked; I glared at him; the smirk slipped "What? They could,"

***

In a posh, well-lit room, Sam and I were wearing suits and interviewing a man.

"So, you and Sean Boyden were business partners for almost ten years, right?" I asked

"That's right. Now one more time, this is for...?" The man asked

"A tribute to Mr. Boyden. Architectural Digest,"

The Man laughed.

I quirked an eyebrow "This funny to you?"

"No, it...it's just, a tribute. Yeah. See, Sean always got the tributes. He kills himself, leaves me and his family behind...well, he gets another tribute,"

"Right. Any idea why he'd do such a thing?" Sam asked

"I, I have no clue, I mean he lived a charmed life," The Man explained

"How so?"

"He was a flat-out genius. I mean, I'm capable, but next to him, I...and it wasn't always that way, either,"

"No?" I asked

"You wanna know the truth?" The man asked "There was a time where he couldn't even design a pup tent. Hell, ten years ago he's working as a bartender at this place called Lloyds. A complete dive,"

"Right." Sam said, "So what changed?"

"You got me. But overnight, he gets this huge commission, and he starts designing...he starts designing the most ingenious buildings anyone has ever seen. It was like, the level of Van Gogh, and Mozart..." the man cut off abruptly.