Red Sky at Morning

Dean was driving the Impala, Sam was in the passenger's seat, Katerina was in the back.

There was a tense silence in the car.

"So, I've been waiting since Maple Springs. You got something to tell me?" Dean asked looking in the rearview mirror at Katerina.

"Well according to your file, it's not your birthday," Katerina said.

"No,"

Katerina shrugged as she looked out the window "I don't know. I have no idea what you're talking about..."

"You know for an ex SHIELD agent, you're not very good at the sneaky,"

"Yeah, Nat mentioned that from time to time," Katerina nodded.

"You went after her, didn't you?" Sam wondered "The Crossroads Demon,"

"Yeah, well..."

"You could have gotten Sam killed!" Dean exclaimed.

"I didn't," Katerina pointed out. "And I didn't kill her, even though she was being a smartass,"

"So, what did you learn?" Sam wondered.

"Someone else holds Dean's contract,"

"Who?" Dean questioned.

Katerina remained silent, answer enough for the two Winchesters.

***

Sam, Dean, and Katerina were impersonating officers of the law to interview the witness.

The witness, an elegant and well-groomed and approximately 70-year-old woman, Gertrude Case, held a framed photograph of the shower-drowning victim.

"But I don't understand. I already went over all this with the other detectives," Gertrude said.

"Right, yes. But, see, we're with the Sheriff's Department, not the police department..." Dean claimed "different departments,"

"So, Mrs. Case..." Sam started.

"Please. Ms. Case," Gertrude told Sam.

"Okay. Um," Sam cleared his throat "Ms. Case, um...you were the one who found your niece, correct?"

"I came home, she was in the shower," Gertrude nodded.

"Drowned?" Katerina questioned.

"So the coroner says. Now, you tell me, how can someone drown in the shower?"

"How would you describe Sheila's behavior in the days before her death?" Sam asked "I mean, did she seem frightened? Maybe she said something out of the ordinary, or...?"

"Wait a minute. You're working with Alex, aren't you?"

"Yep." Dean replied "Absolutely. That's..." he laughed "Alex and us, we're like this," Dean crossed his fingers.

"Why didn't you say so?" Gertrude smiled "Alex has been such a comfort. But I'm sorry. I thought the case was solved,"

"Uh...Well, no." Katerina admitted "No, not yet,"

"I see," Gertrude nodded.

"So, anyway, we were talking about your niece," Katerina reminded.

"Well, yes. Sheila mentioned something quite strange before she died. She said she saw a boat,"

"A boat?" Dean wondered.

"Yes. One minute it was there, then it was gone. It just disappeared right before her eyes. Do you think it could be a...ghost ship? Alex thinks it could be a ghost ship,"