Tall Tale

Sam was sitting on the couch looking through books; he rubbed his face tiredly.

Dean was sitting up on the bed behind Sam, listening to the radio and eating chili cheese fries from a disposable plate.

"Dude. You mind not eating those on MY bed?" Sam asked annoyed

"No, I don't mind." Dean ate another "How's research going?"

Katerina tossed down her books "You know how it's going? Slow. Do you know how it would go a heck of a lot faster? If I had my computer,"

Dean nodded sarcastically "Hmm,"

"Can you turn that down please?"

"Yeah, absolutely," Dean turned the music up louder

"You know what? Maybe, uh, maybe you should just go somewhere for a while," Sam told Kat loudly

"Me?! Dean's the one acting like a fudging child," Katerina scolded as she glared over at the eldest brother.

Dean shut off the radio and looked up, snappish "Hey, I'd love to. That's a great idea. Unfortunately, my car's all screwed to hell,"

"Dean, I told you, I have nothing to do wi-" Sam was cut off by a loud knock on the door.

Kat stood and went to the door; she looked through the peephole and then back at Sam and Dean, then opened the door. Outside was Bobby. "Hey, Bobby,"

Bobby entered, hands in his pockets "Boys, Katerina,"

Dean stood and approached "Hey, Bobby,"

"It's good to see you again so soon,"

"Yeah, uh, thanks for coming." Sam told him "Come on in,"

Dean shook Bobby's hand firmly "Thank god you're here,"

"So um, what didn't you want to talk to me on the phone about?" Bobby asked

"It's this job we're working. We-We weren't sure you'd believe us," Sam explained

Bobby scoffed "Well, I can believe a lot,"

"Yeah, no, no, it's just, we've never seen anything like it-"

"Not even close," Dean added

"And we thought we could use some fresh eyes,"

"Well, why don't you begin at the beginning?"

"Yeah," Katerina scoffed "all right," she gestured to the bed; Bobby picked up the empty takeout tray and peered at it, setting it aside, and sat down. "So, it all started when we caught wind of an obit. See, a professor took a nosedive from a fourth story window, only there's a campus legend that the building's haunted. So we pretexted as reporters from the local paper,"

***

Sam was sitting at a table with a stocky jock boy, Curtis, and an attractive girl, Jen; Katerina set a voice recorder.

"Yeah, we both had the professor for Ethics and Morality," Curtis explained

"Yeah? So why do you think he did it?" Sam asked

"Who knows? I mean, he was tenured, wife and kids. His book is like a really big deal. Then again..." Jen leaned in conspiratorially "Who's to say it was suicide?"

Curtis scoffed "Jen, come on,"

"Well, what else could it be?" Kat questioned

"Well, you know about Crawford Hall?" Jen asked

"No, we don't, actually," Sam said

"It's a bunch of crap," Curtis claimed "it's a total urban legend,"

"Yeah well, Heather's mom went to school here, and she knew the girl," Jen argued

"Wait, what girl?" Katerina asked

"Thirty years ago, this girl was having an affair with some professor. He broke it off, she jumped out the window and killed herself,"

"You know her name?" Sam questioned

"No. But they say she jumped from room six-six-nine. Get it? You turn the nine upside down?"

Sam nodded; Curtis laughed.

"So now she haunts the building. And anyone who sees her? They don't live to tell the tale,"

"Well if no one lives to tell the tale, then how does the tale get told?" Curtis voiced

"Curtis! Shut up!"

"You know what, uh-Thanks a lot guys. Excuse us," Sam got up and walked Kat over to where Dean slammed three shot glasses filled with dark bluish-purple liquid in succession. "Dean. Dean, what are you drinking?"

Dean burped "I don't know, man, I think they're called purple nurples?"

"Okay, well listen. I think maybe we should go check out the professor's office,"

"Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no I can't right now, I've got some feisty little wildcat on the hook, I'm about to-zzzp-reel her in. I'll introduce you," Dean looked over to the blonde girl in fishnet stockings and a tight miniskirt.

"Dean-" Katerina started

"Starla! Starla, hey. This is my shuttle co-pilot, Major Tom. Major Tom, Starla,"

Starla draped an arm around Dean "Enchante,"

"Hi," Sam greeted

Starla gagged, covering her mouth, then looked up grinning.

Kat looked really skeptical and dubious.

"Sorry. Just trying to keep my liquor down!" Starla told them

"Yeah! Good job. Hey. Good news. She's got a sister,"

Katerina rolled her eyes as Dean leaned back into Starla's arm again, both of them grinning suggestively.

***

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on a minute," Dean argued

"What?" Katerina asked

"Come on, KC, that's not how it happened,"

"No?" Kat questioned as she crossed her arms "So you never drank a purple nurple?"

"Yeah, maybe that, but I don't say things like 'feisty little wildcat'. And her name wasn't Starla,"

"Then what was it?"

Dean looked over at Katerina "You seriously don't remember..."

"I remember my version of the story,"

"Oh of course you do," Dean snapped "Don't want to ruin the relationship with what happened..."

"Ok fine you want to tell us what happened...then tell it!"

"Fine!" Dean looked at Sam and Bobby "I wasn't having drinks with Starla, I was having drinks with Kat,"