Bedtime Stories [3]

Katerina tossed the apple around as she waited by the Impala.

"Paramedics picked up Cinderella," Sam said as he and Dean came up to her.

"That's good," Katerina hummed.

"Yeah,"

Katerina tossed the apple to Sam.

"So...Little girl, shiny red apple." Dean mused "I'm guessing that means something to you?"

"I think it's Snow White," Katerina reasoned.

"Snow White? I saw that movie. Or the porn version anyway," Dean laughed "'cause there was this wicked stepmother? Woo, she was wicked," he grinned.

"There is a wicked Stepmother. And she tries to kill Snow White with a poison apple,"

"But the apple doesn't actually kill the girl, right?" Sam wondered.

"No. Puts her into a deep sleep, so deep it's almost like she's dead,"

***

"No, sorry." A nurse told the trio "We don't have any comatose little girls,"

"You sure?" Sam asked.

"Totally. It's mostly old guys. And, well...Callie. She's been around since before I started here,"

"Callie?" Katerina echoed.

"Yeah, it's so sad." The Nurse explained "And poor Dr. Garrison, he just...won't give up on her,"

"Is Callie one of his patients?" Sam wondered.

"No, his daughter," The Nurse admitted.

***

Sam, Dean, and Katerina arrived at Callie Garrison's room in the hospital. They stopped outside the doorway, watching as Dr. Garrison read to Callie.

"...and the Huntsman stepped inside, and in the bed lay the Wolf. So the Huntsman took a pair of scissors and cut open the Wolf's belly," Dr. Garrison noticed the trio. He put down the book and walked towards Sam, Dean, and Katerina. "Detectives. Can I help you?"

"We just heard that Callie is your daughter," Katerina explained as she continued to look into the room.

"And we wanted to say how very sorry we are," Sam added.

Dr. Garrison nodded "Well, uh. Thank you. If you'll excuse me,"

"Oh, heading this way?" Dean asked as they walked down the hospital corridor "We'll walk with you,"

"How long has Callie been like that?" Katerina wondered.

"We don't mean to intrude." Sam interrupted "We can't possibly understand how hard it must be for you seeing her like this,"

"It's not easy." Dr. Garrison sighed "She's uh, been here since she was eight years old,"

"That's when she was poisoned?" Katerina questioned.

"Yeah." Dr. Garrison nodded. "Swallowed, uh, bleach. Never figured out how she got her hands on the bottle. My wife found her, uh, brought her to the ER here and I was on call,"

"Your wife was uh, was that Callie's stepmother?"

Dr. Garrison stopped walking and looked at Katerina "Actually, yes. How'd you know that?"

Katerina shrugged "Lucky guess,"

"Well, Julie was the only mother that uh, Callie ever knew. My wife passed away last year and, uh...it's just my daughter and me now. She's all I've got left. Uhm, excuse me. I've gotta get back to work,"

"Yeah," Dean nodded as the trio continued down the hospital hallway.

"Well, you're right." Sam told Katerina "It's Snow White in spades,"

"Yep." Katerina sighed "Step-mom poisons the girl, puts her into a deep sleep." she looked up at the boys "What's the motive you think?"

"Could be like Mischa Barton,"

Both Dean and Katerina looked at Dean in confusion.

"Sixth Sense, not the OC," Dean tried to simplify. "Hey, you know fairy tales, I know movies. She played the pasty ghost. You know the, uh, remember the mom had that thing you know, where you keep the kid sick so you get all the attention?"

"Oh yeah yeah yeah," Katerina realized "Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy,"

"Could be," Sam agreed.

"So say all these years, Callie's been suffering silently because nobody knows the truth about what mommy dearest did?" Dean reasoned.

"And after all this time her spirit just gets angrier and angrier," Sam nodded "until it finally just starts lashing out,"

"Right. Meanwhile, she has to listen to Dad tell her these deranged stories about a rabid wolf or a cannibalistic old lady. It's enough to drive anybody nuts,"

"Ok, but how are we going to stop her, I mean Callie's stuck here, her father's keeping her body alive," Katerina pointed out.

"It does make it a bit hard to burn the bones,"

"You think?" Sam asked sarcastically.

"1 Coming in!" An EMT exclaimed as the emergency doors opened.

The trio watched as EMT brought in a Grandmother on a stretcher.

"Ok, what's her status?" A Doctor asked.

"Seventy-two-year-old female sustained multiple lacerations and puncture wounds. BP is eighty over forty and falling. Sinus tachycardia," An EMT explained.

"Is that a bite?"

"Looks like she was mauled by a mad dog or, maybe a wolf?"

Sam and Katerina shared a look as they overheard the conversation.

"What was the last story Dr. Garrison was reading Callie?" Katerina asked.

"Little Red Riding Hood,"