The Bridge [3]

"'Psychology of Women: Unraveling the Female Psyche." Ward read from the passenger seat of Lola.

"That's an actual book?" Coulson wondered.

"It's a whole course. Hayward's sister's in there now,"

"We'll be at the school in 10. We'll catch her on her way out. Whole class...on women. Time was, you just had to figure them out. Solving the puzzle was half the fun,"

"You solve a lot of puzzles, in your day?"

Coulson shot Ward a smile "A few. Some more worth it than others. One was...especially rewarding,"

"What happened?"

"I died,"

Ward nodded his head. "Oh. I guess she wasn't Level 7, si?"

"She was a cellist, second chair, Portland Symphony. Saw her play whenever I was in town. Ever see a beautiful woman play the cello?"

Ward shook his head.

"It's something else. She laughed at my jokes, too, which was a very nice bonus,"

"You know where she is now?"

"Of course I do,"

Ward once again nodded his understanding. "I'm sorry, sir,"

"I was gone for months. The Avengers thought I was dead, Katerina...maybe that's where the wedge began. Sure I've been pushing her away from this line of work, but I guess the whole pretending you're still dead ordeal was a real deal-breaker..."

Ward could only nod his head in silence, not knowing if putting in his two cents would cause his boss to thank him or push him out the still moving convertible.

***

Inside the Bus, Katerina was inside her bunk, a sketch pad in hand as she drew
A man in a trench coat stood between Katerina's mother and the demon. "She is not part of the plan,"

Reliving the memory that Azazel had shown her, Katerina couldn't get the man out of her mind.

He had protected her in the past, and yet she's never seen him throughout her life.

Katerina looked up when May knocked on the door.

May looked down at the drawing "Who's that?"

"A lead...what do you want?"

"Look, I understand you and Skye are going through some personal stuff right now. But we're on a mission, so stop with the sob fest,"

Kat stood up and got in May's face "You're not my mother!"

"No! But I am your friend, I worry about you Kat...everyone on this Bus is worried about you. Ever since you came to us..." May sighed "I recognized that look in your eyes...regret and mourning. I figured eventually you would talk to someone about whatever happened that caused you to leave those boys and come back...because last time you were here, you left your badge and said that you were done. We didn't question you coming back because we're all a family and we look out for one another,"

"Yeah, except you look after Ward more,"

May kept her face stone still but Katerina recognized the flicker in her eyes.

Kat rolled her eyes "Oh come on, if Nat were here she would have called you out on it. The side glances you give each other...and don't get me started on the hotel rooms,"

"Look...if you ever want to talk, my door is always open. But right now, Skye found something,"

"I'll be right there...boss,"