Bloodlust Pt. 2

Gordon, Dean, Sam and I were sitting around a table in the bar. A waitress brought us another round, Dean reached for his wallet. "No, no, I got it,"

"Come on," Dean said

"I insist." Gordon looked at the waitress "Thank you, sweetie." he raised his shot glass "Another one bites the dust,"

"That's right," Dean and Gordon drank a toast; Sam was sitting back, arms folded.

"Katerina." Gordon laughed "You gave that big-ass fang one hell of a haircut, my friend,"

"Thanks," I said curtly

"That was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful,"

"Yep," Dean agreed "You all right?"

"I'm fine,"

"Well, lighten up a little, Kitty,"

"Don't call me that,"

"Okay. No offense meant. Just celebrating a little. Job well done,"

"Right. Well, decapitations aren't my idea of a good time, I guess,"

"Oh, come on, it's not like it was human. You've gotta have a little more fun with your job,"

"See? That's what I've been trying to tell Sam." Dean said looking over at his brother "You could learn a thing or two from this guy,"

"Yeah, I bet I could,"

I sat up in my chair "Look, I'm not gonna bring you guys down. I'm just gonna go back to the motel,"

"You sure?" Dean asked

"Yeah," I grabbed my keys and left. But outside a dark figure jumped me from behind. I knocked my first attacker down, then the second; the first attacker grabbed me from behind and I was knocked out.

***

Katerina was bound to a chair and gagged, a sack over her head; it was pulled off by the bartender from earlier. He showed a lot of fangs and advanced on Kat, who struggled.

As the vampire advanced on Katerina, a woman appeared in the doorway.

"Wait! Step back, Eli," The woman commanded

Eli pulled back, his fangs retracting. The woman walked over and pulled off Kat's gag.

"My name's Lenore. I'm not going to hurt you. We just need to talk,"

"Talk? Yeah, okay, but I might have a tough time paying attention to much besides Eli's teeth," Katerina said

"He won't hurt you either. You have my word,"

"Your word? Oh yeah, great, thanks. Listen, lady, no offense but you're not the first vampire I've met,"

"We're not like the others. We don't kill humans, and we don't drink their blood. We haven't for a long time,"

"What is this, some kind of joke?"

"Notice you're still alive,"

"Okay, uh, correct me if I'm wrong here, but shouldn't you be starving to death?"

"We've found other ways. Cattle blood,"

"You're telling me you're responsible for all the-"

"It's not ideal, in fact, it's disgusting. But-it allows us to get by,"

"Okay, uh, why?"

"Survival. No deaths, no missing locals, no reason for people like you to come looking for people like us. We blend it. Our kind is practically extinct. Turns out we weren't quite as high up the food chain as we imagined,"