Crossroad Blues Pt. 3

Dean, Sam, and I approached Evan's front door. Sam knocked. A moment later, Evan opened the door.

"Yes?" Evan asked

"Evan Hudson?" I asked

"You ever been to a bar called Lloyd's? Would have been about ten years ago," Dean explained

Terrified, Evan slammed the door and latched it.

Dean rolled his eyes "Come on, we're demons!"

Inside, Evan bolted into a back room.

"Any other bright ideas?" Sam asked

I stepped back, set myself, then kicked the door down in one go. Dean whistled in appreciation as I only smirked, walking into the household. Outside the back room, Evan had just entered, Dean prepared to kick down that door. I caught his leg, stopping him.

"You were able to..."

"I had a legitimate reason because he locked that door," I made a show of turning the handle and pushing the door open gently. "He didn't lock this one,"

The room was quiet, as we entered.

"Evan?" Sam called out.

Evan jumped out from behind a bookshelf. "Please! Don't hurt me,"

I held my hand out, pacifying "We're not going to hurt you, all right? We're here to help you,"

"We know all about the genius deal you made," Dean said

"What? How?" Evan asked

"Doesn't matter." Sam said "All that matters is, we're trying to stop it,"

"How do I know you're not lying?"

"Well, you don't, but you're kinda running low on options there," I admitted

Evan swallowed and started pacing. "Can you stop it?"

"Don't know. We'll try," Sam said

"I don't want to die,"

"Of course you don't, not now," Dean said

"Dean. Stop," I scolded

"What'd you ask for anyway, Evan? Huh? Never need Viagra? Bowl a perfect game? What?"

"My wife," Evan replied

Dean laughed "Right. Gettin' the girl. Well, that's worth a trip to hell for,"

"Dean, stop," I hissed

"No. He's right, I made the deal. Nobody twisted my arm, that...woman, or whatever she was, at the bar? She said I could have anything I wanted. I thought she was nuts at first, but...I don't know how to-I was desperate,"

"Desperate?" Sam asked

"Julie was dying," Evan explained

"You did it to save her?" I realized

"She had cancer, they'd stopped treatment, they were moving her into hospice, they kept saying...a matter of days. So yeah, I made the deal. And I'd do it again. I'd have died for her on the spot,"

"Did you ever think about her in all this?" Dean asked

"I did this for her," Even argued

Dean advanced on him "You sure about that? I think you did it for yourself. So you wouldn't have to live without her. But guess what? She's going to have to live without you now. But what if she knew how much it cost? What if she knew it cost your soul? How do you think she'd feel?"

I put a hand on Dean's chest, pulling him back "Okay, that's enough." I looked at Evan "You just sit tight, all right? We're going to figure this out," I followed Dean and Sam into the hallway.

"You all right?" Sam asked

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" Dean asked "He, I got an idea." he pulled out the Goofer dust. "You throw George's hoodoo at that Hellhound, keep it away from Evan as long as you can. I'm gonna go to the crossroads and summon the demon,"

"Summon-are you nuts?" I asked

"Maybe a little. But I can trap it. I can exorcise it, and I can buy us time to figure out something more permanent,"

"Yeah, but how much time?" Sam asked

"I don't know, a while." Dean said "I mean, it's not easy for those suckers to claw their way back from hell and into the sunshine,"

"No. No way," Sam said

"You're not allowed to say no, Sammy, not unless you've got a better idea,"

"Dean, you can forget it, all right? I'm not letting you summon that demon,"

"Why not?"

"Because I don't like where your head is at right now, that's why not,"

"What are you talking about?" I asked looking between the two brothers.

"You know, you've been on edge ever since we found that crossroads, Dean, and I think I know why," Sam argued, ignoring my question.

"We don't have time for this," Dean brushed passed.

"Sam, what's going on?" I asked again.

"Dad," Sam replied. The one word was enough to stop Dean. Sam turned back to his brother "You think maybe Dad made one of these deals, huh? Hell. I've been thinking it. I'm sure you've been thinking it too,"

"It fits, doesn't it?" Dean asked quietly "I'm alive, Dad's dead. The yellow-eyed demon was involved. What if he did? What if he struck a deal? My life for his soul?"

"I think I hear it!" Evan called out reminding me that we were on a case. "It's outside!"

"Just keep him alive, okay?" Dean said

"Dean..." I started

"Go!" Dean ordered

***

Sam was sprinkling the dust in a line before the windows, then started making a circle of it around Evan, who stood in the middle of the room.

"What is that stuff?" Evan asked

"Goofer dust," I explained

"You serious?" Evan asked

"Yeah. 'Fraid so. Look. Believe me, don't believe me, whatever you want. Just whatever you do, stay inside the circle, all right?"

Evan nodded, hugging himself, standing in the middle of the circle that Sam was just finishing. Sam shook the bag to get out the last grains.

"That's the last of it," Sam told me.

I whirled around.

"What?" Sam asked

"You hear that?" I asked

"No, where?"

I heard the demonic growling "Right outside the door,"

The door began to rattle violently; Sam and I stepped inside the circle with Evan.

Sam and I stared tensely at the rattling door. "Just don't move, all right?" Sam told Evan "Stay where you are,"

The rattling became louder, more violent, then stopped suddenly.

"Do you still hear it?" Sam asked

"No." Evan replied, believing the question was for him "Is it over?"

A rumbling sound came from a grating by the wall. We all whirled to stare at it; it burst outward, kicking dust into the room.

"It's here!" I said