Ancient Guilt

They had returned to the Menoa tree, some inexorable force that drew them to the sentient tree. Dream and Nightmare sat below it's heavy branches, occasionally chatting with each other but mostly staying silent.
She reminded them of Mother.

Both knew, they felt the urge to stay near Menoa, the name literally meaning Mother in the Ancient Language. It was gut-wrenching… if they had guts.

Their old failings of all that time ago haunted the twins; they felt regret.

It was late, dark outside when Nightmare addressed the issue at hand, aware of a few beings entering the glade.
"Dream…. We could probably speak to her."
"Mmhmm." The lighter was staring at his circlet in his hands with a dull look on his face. It glinted in the moonlight, and Nightmare's own bluish, silver and purple glow. Dream's yellow was dim. His wings lay flat around him.

"Dream." Nightmare brushed the back of his hand against the other's skull, a few vines automatically reaching up to cling at his phalanges weakly. "Hmm?" Dream responded, still gazing at his ancient crown; as old as he.
"I know." Came the quiet words. The lighter looked up, a blank stare to hide his guilt and sorrow. Nightmare peered at him seriously. "This black mood is unlike you, Brother."
Dream suddenly scowled, turning away. "And isn't your happiness of late unlike you?" He hissed.

Nightmare hesitated, taken aback by the sudden vehemence from Dream, of all people. He looked out over to the wall of trees thoughtfully, recognizing the minds of Blue, GB, Arya, Eragon, and Saphira arrive not too far from them at the tree as he pondered.
"You're right. It is rather unlike me." He stared at the ground between them, a lone tentacle and vine taking the space.
"And if that is happening, then it wouldn't be surprising that you are experiencing Negativity. But Dream, I ask that you don't linger like this. It will hurt you. And…. I don't want to see you hurt anymore… Brother."

Dream gazed at Nightmare, eyelights quivering as his yellow aura stuttered in an attempt to brighten. Nightmare looked to the side, sighing before his tentacles reached forward, almost of their own volition. They wrapped around Dream delicately before pulling him close, enveloping his brother in a hug. A low sob escaped the lighter twin as he slowly returned it. "I just don't understand why I feel… like none of this is real, Nightmare. I feel I have fooled myself in sheer desperation." He explained between shuddering breaths as his wings unwound and entwined with the tentacles.

"Your subconscious can't create an illusion this outlandish and still be believable, Dream." He assured him quietly.
"I don't know that." Dream whispered frantically.
"Then you don't." Nightmare stated. "If I cannot convince you otherwise, then you don't know whether any of this is real. However, I know for myself that this is reality. I can feel it down to my Soul." He waved his hand, summoning the apple while hugging his brother, so it passed through both ribcages and touched the lighter twin's golden Soul within. Dream shook violently at the sudden, personal contact. Nightmare surppressed his own shiver at the sensation.
"Do you feel it?" He asked, voice soft again.

Wisps of magic drifted off Dream's Soul and surrounded Nightmare's, pulling it closer subconsciously. "I.." 𝓘 𝓯𝓮𝓮𝓵 𝓲𝓽. He finished his sentence mentally. Nightmare felt himself smile. His own Soul reached out in response.
𝓘 𝓶𝓲𝓼𝓼𝓮𝓭 𝔂𝓸𝓾…
ℑ 𝔨𝔫𝔬𝔴. ℑ 𝔨𝔫𝔬𝔴. ℑ 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔨... 𝔓𝔞𝔯𝔱 𝔬𝔣 𝔪𝔢 𝔡𝔦𝔡,
A real smile graced their faces.
𝓘 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮 𝔂𝓸𝓾, 𝓑𝓻𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻.
...
𝔄𝔰 𝔡𝔬 ℑ.
...

Blue sat quietly, aware of Saphira and GB's gazes upon them from above as Eragon explained his accidental curse back in Farthen Dûr. It was eerily quiet after the concerning panicked voice he'd just heard nearby. They weren't alone.

"Barzûl." Arya swore suddenly, catching him off guard. He peered at her in concern as she spoke. "I knew of your act in Farthen Dûr, for sure, but I never thought… I never suspected that such a thing could occur. I cry your pardon, Eragon, for forcing you to leave your rooms tonight. I did not comprehend your discomfort. You must want to be alone."

"No." Eragon shook his head. "No, I appreciate the company and the things you've shown me. Us." He gave her a smile.
Slowly, she returned it.

"I only wonder what will become of the child."
"I think we all do, Princess Arya." Blue murmured.