Council of Elders

Eragon was getting out of bed, silent and brooding. Nightmare shuffled his formless self invisibly, wishing he could provide comfort for the human. Though, he did understand that Eragon only needed time.
Nevertheless, the immortal King of Negativity wished to give him solace.

The Rider began to cry quietly. Nightmare thought to himself, loathing himself as he drew strength from Eragon's misery.
It had been a long time since he last felt this way about his power.
Eragon caught one of the tears sliding down his face, then stared at it blankly. Nightmare watched this, touched by the human's mood.
"Draumr kópa." He whispered to the droplet, and Nightmare felt himself twist, knowing that Eragon was trying to find Murtaugh. Only darkness appeared in the orb.
More tears slicked from Eragon's eyes.

So he leaned back, breathing deep to calm himself as Nightmare reached out for the boy he was supposed to protect.
𝔚𝔥𝔞𝔱 𝔞 𝔱𝔢𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔟𝔩𝔢 𝔊𝔲𝔞𝔯𝔡𝔦𝔞𝔫 ℑ 𝔞𝔪...

Saphira awoke, yawning before addressing her Rider. Nightmare watched mutely from the shadows of another realm as they discussed the dreary morning, and how had the Urgals managed to follow Ajihad's group without being spotted. Then Saphira changed the topic, reminding Eragon of his need to eat, to learn what the Varden had planned for next. The human agreed, pausing as he was temporarily lost in thought before reaching for Snowfire's saddle.

Eragon collapsed on the floor, spasming and clawing frantically at his back. Saphira growled as she sensed his pain, and Nightmare roiled, desperate to stop Eragon's pointless suffering. He started thinking about his options to Eragon. He was the only one capable of muting the human's pain, though if he were to do that now it would prolong his recovery and keep him in this spirit form longer, much longer than he preferred.
Nightmare was at an impasse, either to watch Eragon cry helplessly, or finally do what he failed to do all those eons ago...
Protect.

With an angry flick, Nightmare threw his consciousness into Eragon's, igniting his power within the sobbing human. Eragon gasped, arching his back as the pain subsided. After a pause, he rolled over to stare at Saphira with wide eyes, Nightmare a little uncomfortable as he was intimately aware of it.
Saphira! Do you sense it?
Sense what, Eragon?
Nightmare's magic!

There was a pause, then the dragon bent closer. No, I do not sense him. Error said he was not in our plane of existence. He isn't here, Eragon.
Nightmare scoffed mentally. Eragon flinched. The King of Negativity hesitated.
𝔇𝔬 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔥𝔢𝔞𝔯 𝔪𝔢?
The human spun, looking around frantically. Saphira, I hear him!
Eragon, calm down.
𝔏𝔦𝔰𝔱𝔢𝔫 𝔱𝔬 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔡𝔯𝔞𝔤𝔬𝔫. 𝔜𝔬𝔲 𝔠𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔰𝔢𝔢 𝔪𝔢.
But I hear you!
𝔒𝔣 𝔠𝔬𝔲𝔯𝔰𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔠𝔞𝔫, 𝔪𝔶 𝔠𝔬𝔫𝔰𝔠𝔦𝔬𝔲𝔰𝔫𝔢𝔰𝔰 𝔦𝔰 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯𝔰. 𝔜𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔢 𝔦𝔫 𝔭𝔞𝔦𝔫, 𝔈𝔯𝔞𝔤𝔬𝔫. ℑ𝔱 𝔦𝔰 𝔪𝔶 𝔡𝔲𝔱𝔶 𝔱𝔬 𝔭𝔯𝔬𝔱𝔢𝔠𝔱 𝔶𝔬𝔲. ℑ 𝔠𝔞𝔫'𝔱 𝔞𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔱𝔬 𝔥𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔰𝔢𝔦𝔷𝔲𝔯𝔢𝔰 𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶 𝔣𝔦𝔳𝔢 𝔪𝔦𝔫𝔲𝔱𝔢𝔰, 𝔰𝔬 ℑ 𝔡𝔦𝔡 𝔴𝔥𝔞𝔱 ℑ 𝔠𝔬𝔲𝔩𝔡 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔪. 𝔗𝔥𝔞𝔱 𝔪𝔢𝔞𝔫𝔰 ℑ 𝔞𝔪 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔫𝔬𝔴. He spoke so Saphira could hear across the link.

You can do that?
𝔐𝔶 𝔠𝔬𝔫𝔰𝔠𝔦𝔬𝔲𝔰𝔫𝔢𝔰𝔰 𝔞𝔩𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔡𝔶 𝔥𝔞𝔰 𝔣𝔯𝔞𝔤𝔪𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔰 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫 𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶𝔬𝔫𝔢 𝔦𝔫 𝔄𝔩𝔞𝔤𝔞ë𝔰𝔦𝔞. 𝔚𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯 ℑ 𝔞𝔪, ℑ 𝔰𝔭𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔡 𝔱𝔥𝔯𝔬𝔲𝔤𝔥𝔬𝔲𝔱 𝔱𝔥𝔞𝔱 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡. 𝔈𝔳𝔢𝔫 𝔫𝔬𝔴, 𝔰𝔬𝔪𝔢 𝔬𝔣 𝔪𝔢 𝔦𝔰 𝔰𝔱𝔦𝔩𝔩 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔐𝔲𝔩𝔱𝔦𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔰𝔢. ℑ 𝔪𝔞𝔶 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔟𝔢 𝔞𝔟𝔩𝔢 𝔱𝔬 𝔞𝔠𝔠𝔢𝔰𝔰 𝔦𝔱 𝔞𝔰 ℑ 𝔠𝔬𝔲𝔩𝔡 𝔟𝔢𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔢 𝔣𝔞𝔩𝔩𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔦𝔫 𝔄𝔩𝔞𝔤𝔞ë𝔰𝔦𝔞, 𝔟𝔲𝔱 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔣𝔞𝔠𝔱 𝔡𝔬𝔢𝔰𝔫'𝔱 𝔡𝔦𝔰𝔞𝔭𝔭𝔢𝔞𝔯. 𝔄𝔩𝔩 ℑ 𝔥𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔡𝔬𝔫𝔢 𝔦𝔰 𝔭𝔩𝔞𝔠𝔢 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔞𝔦𝔫 𝔠𝔬𝔫𝔰𝔠𝔦𝔬𝔲𝔰𝔫𝔢𝔰𝔰 𝔦𝔫𝔰𝔦𝔡𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲. ℑ𝔱 𝔴𝔦𝔩𝔩 𝔭𝔯𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫𝔱 𝔪𝔢 𝔣𝔯𝔬𝔪 𝔯𝔢𝔤𝔞𝔦𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔪𝔶 𝔭𝔥𝔶𝔰𝔦𝔠𝔞𝔩 𝔟𝔬𝔡𝔶, 𝔟𝔲𝔱 𝔦𝔱 𝔦𝔰 𝔫𝔢𝔠𝔢𝔰𝔰𝔞𝔯𝔶 𝔲𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔩 𝔴𝔢 𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔢𝔩𝔳𝔢𝔰.
Why would you postpone your recovery for me?
ℑ 𝔥𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔣𝔞𝔦𝔩𝔢𝔡 𝔬𝔫𝔠𝔢 𝔟𝔢𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔢 𝔞𝔰 𝔞 𝔊𝔲𝔞𝔯𝔡𝔦𝔞𝔫. ℑ 𝔡𝔬 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔦𝔫𝔱𝔢𝔫𝔡 𝔱𝔬 𝔣𝔞𝔦𝔩 𝔞 𝔰𝔢𝔠𝔬𝔫𝔡 𝔱𝔦𝔪𝔢.
....
Thank you.
ℑ𝔱 𝔦𝔰 𝔫𝔬𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤. 𝔑𝔬𝔴 𝔤𝔢𝔱 𝔬𝔫 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔦𝔱, 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔫𝔢𝔢𝔡 𝔱𝔬 𝔟𝔢 𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔡𝔶 𝔴𝔥𝔢𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 ℭ𝔬𝔲𝔫𝔠𝔦𝔩 𝔬𝔯 𝔴𝔥𝔬𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯 𝔭𝔦𝔠𝔨𝔰 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔰𝔲𝔠𝔠𝔢𝔰𝔰𝔬𝔯 𝔬𝔣 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔙𝔞𝔯𝔡𝔢𝔫 𝔠𝔞𝔩𝔩𝔰 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔶𝔬𝔲.
Do you want us to explain your decision to them and the Wyrdaí Islingrya? Saphira asked.
𝔑𝔬. ℑ 𝔴𝔦𝔩𝔩 𝔥𝔞𝔫𝔡𝔩𝔢 𝔱𝔥𝔞𝔱.
.. 𝔗𝔥𝔞𝔫𝔨 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔬𝔣𝔣𝔢𝔯.
Thank you for sacrificing for me.
𝔅𝔞𝔥, 𝔧𝔲𝔰𝔱 𝔣𝔦𝔫𝔡 𝔰𝔬𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔱𝔬 𝔢𝔞𝔱, 𝔥𝔲𝔪𝔞𝔫! ℑ 𝔡𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔩𝔦𝔨𝔢 𝔥𝔬𝔴 𝔡𝔢𝔫𝔰𝔢 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔪𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔶 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔯𝔞𝔠𝔢 𝔦𝔰. Nightmare muttered irritably, shifting within Eragon uncomfortably.
... I'm sorry?