A Promise and a Song

The next morning after the business with the Council of Elders, Eragon was caring for Saphira's saddle; talking with Nightmare and surprisingly, Blue and GB when they came to visit. He could afford to relax somewhat as Nightmare was quite capable of blocking most of the pain from his seizures. They still hurt terribly, but it was more than bearable.

Then Orik showed up, patiently waiting as Eragon oiled a strap. Then he spoke. "Are you better today?"
"For the most part."
"Good, we all need our strength. I came partly to see to your health and also because Hrothgar wishes to speak with you, if you are free."
Eragon smiled wryly. "I'm always free for him. He must know that."
The dwarf laughed. "Ah, but it's polite to ask nicely."
Eragon set the saddle down as Blue waved, GB smiling in his Blaster form as Saphira stood with a kind growl, the skeletal one stretching in response.

"Morning to you as well." Orik greeted them with a bow before they followed him out of the room and through Tronjhiem, heading for the throne room once again.
Nightmare felt a slight pang from Orik as he turned away from the main chamber, clearly unwilling to enter the room containing the ruins of the Isidar Mithrim.

At the granite doors, the guards beat their mattocks upon the floor, the entryway opening. Error appeared beside Eragon, looking as though he'd been given a last minute notice.
Nodding at one another, they advanced into the throne room.

Upon reaching the end of the hall, Eragon and Blueberry bowed, GB dipping his skull low to the ground as Error nodded. Hrothgar nodded in return, then addressed them.

"Shadeslayer, Lord Error. Welcome to my hall. You have all done much since we last met. And, so it seems, I have been proved wrong about Zar'roc. Morzan's blade will be welcome in Tronjhiem so long as you bear it."
Eragon thanked him as he stood up. Hrothgar spoke again.

"Also, we wish you to keep the armor you wore in the battle of Farthen Dûr. Even now our most skilled smiths are repairing it. The dragon armor is being treated likewise, and when it is restored, Saphira may use it as long as she wished, or until she outgrows it. This is the least we can do to show our gratitude. If it weren't for the war with Galbatorix, there would be feasts and celebrations in your name… but those must wait for a more appropriate time."

Eragon nodded gratefully. "You are generous beyond all expectations. We will cherish such noble gifts." Hrothgar inclined his head, pleased. Then addressed Error, Blue and GB.
"And as for the matter of you. You have done us a great service in fighting with our warriors during the battle, even when others of your kind opposed you. And the new one, the flightless dragon. We are terribly sorry for your mistreatment by Durza's hand. We hope you are forgiving of those in Alagaësia, for a Shade is a treacherous evil."

GB sat down and trilled, nodding at Blue as the smaller skeleton spoke for him. "GB understands. He doesn't hold amenity with anyone but Galbatorix, because Durza was his servant and was unbearably cruel. He also wants to mention that he can have wings sometimes and even fly, it just takes a little more energy to sustain them. He isn't a dragon, either. He's a hybrid formed from descendants back in his world."

Hrothgar leaned back thoughtfully, rubbing his beard. "There are skeleton relatives of dragons where you come from?"
"Yes, there are few AU's." Error confirmed. "There are some that are more closely related to dragons than even him, but GB is a powerful hybrid and is more closely related than most."

Hrothgar seemed to take this into consideration. He raised a silvery brow at the animalistic skeleton, who glanced between him and Blue a little nervously.
"Do you wish to be addressed as a dragon?" The dwarf king asked simply. GB shook his skull, letting Blue explain for him.
"No, he has never cared much for his lineage, and there are those who are more closely related than he is, as well as true dragons like Saphira. He just wants to help defeat Galbatorix for justice and vengeance."