Ambush

Alter hated the silence left in Carvahall when the children left. It reminded him of the Ruins. He'd turned away from the window and faced Katrina and Elain as they helped the young woman recover from her loss.

In the end, the topic came up and they sat around the table, Alter quietly explaining his past, the war he'd experienced and other things in the Underground. This inevitably led to talk of the Multiverse, taking Katrina's mind off of things and into fascination with the prospect of many worlds, all versions of each other with matching people.
She and Elain were shocked to hear that Dance and Alter were just alternate versions of one another, amazed to hear of the gods of the Multiverse, and alternatively frightened to hear of the dark things that haunted it.

Late that evening, Roran returned via the kitchen for some strange reason, blurting out the question when they faced him. "Are… are you all right?"
Katrina assured him that she was well. Alter smiled softly at the tenderness he displayed towards her before she went upstairs. Roran made to follow when Elain stopped him, waiting until Katrina was out of earshot.

"I hope that you meant every promise you gave that girl, because if you didn't, I'll call an assembly and have you exiled within a week."
Alter blinked, realizing what she was worried about before his eyelights vanished at the prospect.
"Of course I meant them. I love her."
Elain crossed her arms. "Katrina just surrendered everything she owned or cared about for you." She stared straight into him. "I've seen men who throw their affection at young maids, like grain tossed at chickens. The maids sigh and weep and believe that they are special, yet for the man, it's only trifling amusement. You have always been honorable, Roran, but one's loins can turn even the most sensible person into a prancing booby or a sly, wicked fox. Are you one? For Katrina requires neither a fool, a trickster, nor even love; what she requires above all else is a man who will provide for her. If you abandon her, she will be the meanest person in Carvahall, forced to live off her friends, our first and only beggar. By the blood in my veins, I won't let that happen."

Alter stood behind her, tall enough for his skull to nearly reach the ceiling.
Roran protested. "Nor would I. I would have to be heartless, or worse, to do so." Elain jutted her chin out at him. "Exactly. Don't forget that you intend to marry a woman who has lost both her dowry and her mother's inheritance. Do you understand what it means for Katrina to lose her inheritance? She has no silver, no linens, no lace, nor any of the things needed for a well-run home. Such items are all we own, passed from mother to daughter since the day we first settled Alagaësia. They determine our worth. A woman without her inheritance is like… is like-" "Is like a man without a farm or trade." Roran rumbled quietly.

"Just so. It was cruel of Sloan to deny Katrina her inheritance, but that can't be helped now. Both you and she have no money or resources. Life is difficult enough without that added hardship. You'll be starting from nothing and with nothing. Does the prospect frighten you or seem unbearable? So I ask you once again- and don't lie or the two of you will regret it for the rest of your lives- will you care for her without grudge or resentment?"
"Yes."

Elain sighed, refilling her cup and filling another with the tea Alter had insisted boiling earlier, handing it to Roran before seating herself. He followed suit, and they discussed how to deal with Sloan and their future. Then they departed, Alter wishing them a good night before heading back to Gertrude's.

He for some reason had a sickening feeling in his Soul.
He greeted Dance inside, seeing the worry in his friend's eyelights. They both knew something was off tonight, but couldn't fathom what the issue was.

He dully awoke from his slumber, pondering what could have done so. Alter rubbed his sockets, sitting up. That terrible feeling suddenly returned full force, gripping him in icy daggers of fear.
He felt.. he knew something was happening. Something awful.
It was enough to force the sleepiness from him. His Soul was pounding.

Andlátkyn; Vandr Sanses unin Alagaësia जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें