Chapter 68

Marinette stared out into the night sky.

   She was cold, and her toes curled inside of her boots. Marinette wanted to spend the night at her parents’ bakery and return home the morning after, but the look on Adrien's face after she had clocked out told her that she should return as soon as possible. 

  Adrien had left soon after she clocked out, and Marinette caught a train back home to pack her things. She left a little note in the kitchen to her parents to let them know where she was going, but she made sure to be as quiet as she could. She didn't want to wake them up so suddenly.

  Marinette waited patiently outside the bakery at night. She had expected Adrien to return to help her with her things for the ride back home.

Marinette pressed her lips together, glancing down at Tikki who mewed timidly. The black feline clawed away nervously inside the pet carriage as the small animal was tired of being brought back and forth between everyone. 

  The cat just wanted some snacks, chin rubs and a nice bed to sleep on. 

  Marinette shivered, bouncing on her toes as a cool gust of wind permeated through the jacket she wore.

  "I know, Tikki," Marinette cooed; the fact that she talked to her cat still remained to be a prominent part of her life. "It’s freezing. Adrien says he's on his way - I guess we can hope he gets here faster so we both don't freeze to death."

  Marinette averted her eyes back to the empty dark road as Tikki meowed in response. The carrier shifted as Tikki moved about, attempting to get comfortable in the fluffy pillows that Marinette had placed inside for her. 

"When we get back, I'll give you some nice, yummy, wet food, you can sleep in the bed like you used to, and I promise it'll be nice and toasty for you. The house is huge, you have so much space to run around, and I'll get you a nice fresh batch of water. We can cuddle together like we used to..." Marinette breathed, her breath drawing out into a fog within the cold air. "That's...if things aren't awkward when we get back."

  Marinette felt her heart squeeze in her chest, a frown tugging on her lips as her eyes moved down to her feet. Her hands bunched inside of her pockets and Marinette couldn't help but feel incredibly guilty.

  She knew deep down that Adrien wouldn't do something like that, and she had her run ins with his ex. She should have known that Kagami was headstrong - Marinette had experienced it. She knew that when Kagami wanted something, she'd go out of her way to get it.

Marinette vividly recalled being blocked into a corner by her, and the way she acted when Adrien tried to question the situation only revealed how condescending she could actually be. 

  Now that Adrien explained in detail about everything that happened when she caught them, it all made sense. Marinette was well aware of Kagami's constant calls and random appearances whenever Adrien tried to ignore her.

Hell, she remembered them both being vexed during the night when they tried to cuddle and Adrien would receive phone calls. Marinette initially felt bad that Kagami felt as though she was forced to move away, but the more she thought about how much she was manipulating their relationship, the more Marinette simply wanted her to go away and end all of it. 

   She had felt guilty for leaving Adrien behind, and if she had to be honest with herself, Marinette knew she was incredibly insecure about herself. Perhaps Adrien was right, and she was actively looking for an excuse to find a reason to rid herself from the situation. 

There was a huge possibility that Marinette had allowed her insecurity to get in the way of her being happy and allowing herself to trust someone.

   After being with Felix for so long and enduring the distance and lies he put into her head, it was hard to become unstuck from that mindset.