Chapter 60 ⚠️

Happy 60th chapter guys! Thanks so much for helping me make it this far.
Enjoy a mini chapter in which Marinette becomes perceptive.

_________________________________________

"Do you think having children is sort of narcissistic?" Marinette asked, her voice drowning out in the noise of the train station.

Marinette had made it a priority to see Alya on the weekends. She had been interviewed for a new daytime job at a local real estate firm as a secretary, at least until her pregnancy was over.

Alya needed to be off her feet as much as she could, her back would cause her great pain and when her feet began to swell, it was difficult for her to actually venture on home by herself.

It didn't pose that much of a difficulty, but Marinette always went out of her way to meet Alya to and from work; that way she knew her friend made it home safe. Alya had started to build her own personal blog, documenting her pregnancy and gathering advice from other new mothers, or women who had been in the mother game for quite a long time. It comforted Marinette's heart that Alya set her pride aside and finally took the initiative to accept help, when she needed it.

Chloe's offer of the penthouse still stood on the table, and despite Alya's reluctance to a friendly handout, Marinette was somehow able to convince her friend to accept the gracious gift. She deserved that much, and so did their baby. It wasn't a promised opportunity that would come around again, and Alya needed to grab it while she had the chance.

"Narcissistic?" Alya asked, turning her head over towards Marinette who zipped up her coat with a small smile.
"Why do you say that?"

Marinette exhaled, her breath drawing fog into the cold air that surrounded both women. The young woman shrugged, her eyes following the trains as they took off. The winter sun had begun to make its way down the horizon and Marinette quite liked the orange glow it casted just before it was about to set.

"Yeah, you're basically just reusing your genes. If anything, when you have children you're raising little clone copies of yourself or your partner. It's a little strange to think about," Marinette conceded, biting her lip before turning to face her friend with a small chuckle.

Alya snorted, rocking back and forth on her aching feet as she awaited her train that she knew would arrive at any minute.

"I guess you can say that," she breathed, pressing her lips together. "But it's a beautiful thing. You get to create little human beings with someone you love, and you raise them to be great members of society. You carry about out of love, not because you want little copies of yourself."

Marinette nodded, her eyes remaining on the large train in front of her.

"You're right..." Marinette murmured, watching as passengers boarded the train in a hurry, leaving it completely stuffed before the doors closed. "But the thought of raising a child seems scary. I guess I can understand now why you felt like you'd struggle being a mom when you have no prior experience at all. I mean, there's the nursing, the diaper changing, the lack of sleep and the worry. I seriously wonder how our moms did it."

Alya chuckled, placing a hand onto her large baby bump. Her hand moved down towards her navel where she felt her little one simply kicking away at the sounds around the both of them. Alya knew she hadn't met her baby yet, but there was a love there she had never known before. Through the little she knew about her baby, as in what times she woke up throughout the night and what sounds and foods excited her inside of Alya's belly, she had seriously grown to love the little one. At first there was a bit of fear, but there was no fear anymore. Alya was ready to settle down and meet and raise her baby as the best mother she could possibly be.