Chapter 61

It was just another long day, and Adrien just about had it. 

  He had barely made it home in time for dinner and because it was winter, the sun had set earlier, leaving Adrien to return to a dark home. 

All he wanted to do was make a bowl of hot noodles and guzzle them down whilst he waited for Marinette to return from doing her school work.

The new year was just around the corner, and Adrien was whipped when it came to the events that he was appointed. Most French corporate companies were paying top dollar for the Agreste name. They needed photos of Adrien promoting their products, they needed Adrien to attend their events to push said product and sell it - not to mention Gabriel's fashion stocks had been selling out rapidly so Adrien was in higher demand. 

  Anybody who was anyone wanted something from the world renown fashion designer, Gabriel Agreste. It was almost like getting Gucci for someone's birthday.

It was a must-have and it was given mostly to Adrien's disadvantage. He was the one having to put in all the extra back-work to make the profits.

Adrien inwardly groaned at the long work ahead of him; it wasn't as if he had a choice. He would have loved to find a way to sneak out of it the way he used to when he begged for lunch, but Nathalie had tightened her grip on him. 

  It was as if her hands had gotten bigger and Adrien's worse fears had come to life. Each time he had found himself distracted, he had unintentionally trained himself to see Nathalie bending mop sticks, and the mere thought of Nathalie smashing a frying pan into her head over and over with a straight face had permeated through his dreams. He knew that if he saw Nathalie smacking herself with a frying pan with a straight face, he had fucked up somewhere or was about ready to. 

  Adrien had just hopped into his pyjama bottoms, his eyes sore from standing in the spotlight all afternoon. He could feel his stomach growl relentlessly and that bowl of noodles only seemed more and more appetizing. 

The thought of stuffing his face and seeing his beautiful wife step through the back slider doors made his heart warmer than his belly. It was such a delightful thought, it made living so much more worth it. 

He grabbed his comfortable pyjama shirt and pulled it over his head. 
Adrien nearly tumbled down the stairs in a rush, his shirt bunched awkwardly at his waist. He wandered into the kitchen, grabbing the cat food and filling up Tikki's bowl before he began to rummage through the cabinet on the other side for some noodles and perhaps a bit of Sabine's homemade mango hot tea recipe.

Adrien felt the excitement in his toes as he reached for the bag of noodles. He was just about ready to tear the bag open and dump it into one of the pots on the drying rack but stopped the moment he heard a firm knock on the back slider doors.

  He pouted, moving his eyes to the silhouette that permeated through the moonlight. Adrien set his uncooked noodles aside and swiped his hands together as he approached the door.

"Marinette..." he chuckled, sliding open the door with a small smile.  His heart squeezed inside of his chest with the anticipation to see his wife after such a long day. "I already told you where the spare key was-" He glanced up, his words caught in his throat at the sight of his ex-girlfriend who stood on the other side of the door. 

The smile on his face immediately faltered, and Adrien couldn't help but to instantly feel worry. His heart quickened in his chest and he exhaled as he stepped out rashly and shut the door behind him.

"Kagami...what are you doing here?" He questioned, his eyes trained on her firmly as she stumbled back awkwardly.
Adrien quickly glanced around, the lines beneath his eyes deepening as he worried Marinette would walk into the garden at any moment and find Kagami here.