Chapter 20

A/N: I'll apologize for the lack of quality in the next two chapters. This was actually a lot longer but I had to break it in two. My editor only notified me that she was editing between 40-60 pages and I just felt so bad.
Please bear with me.

_________________________________________

"Who sets up intern interviews in the evening?" Adrien asked with a deep sigh, his eyes glowering down at Marinette whilst she folded her clothes and placed them neatly into her drawer.

Marinette rolled her eyes, before she glanced up at him, the blush in her cheeks beginning to swarm across her skin like a herd of angry fire ants.

"Uhh... someone who works late at night, and would kinda like some sleep and clear thinking space the next day?" The blunette replied sarcastically with a chuckle.

"It'll be fine," she sighed as she stood up. "It's only thirty minutes away, and the interview should only last an hour or so. If I calculated correctly, I should be home before midnight."

Adrien reached up to rub the back of his neck, his fingers gliding through his hair momentarily before he sighed, shrugging.
"I guess I'm a little worried about how you'll get home," his voice trailed off slightly. "If you'll just let me-"

"Can you not send your entourage to follow me?" Marinette interjected, her brow perked slightly as she caught his deflated attention. "I still would like to walk out with my independence you know. You don't have to babysit me."

Adrien narrowed his eyes towards her, casually sliding his hands into his pockets.

"They aren't spying on you," he bit his lip, shifting his weight slightly. "Its just to ensure that you get home safe, but if you insist on taking the train or bus or what may have you, by all means."

Marinette placed her laundry down, her blue eyes shifting back towards Adrien. Her heart squeezed in her chest as he smiled at her. The concern in his eyes was evident, but Marinette didn't mean to torture him.

  She knew how much he cared for her in some ways, but she was a big girl. She could handle things on her own, and she had handled many things on her own long before Adrien was thrust into her life via contract.

"Look," the blunette prompted, moving closer to Adrien. "I will make sure I call you when I'm on my way back, if that'll help you sleep at night." She murmured, gently reaching up to fix the collar on Adrien's shirt. "Please don't stay up waiting for me, I know you have to get up early for work tomorrow. I promise I'll be quiet when I walk in."

Adrien pressed his lips together, remaining still as he felt her hands on him.

"I guess." he sighed, watching her as she pulled away from him. His green eyes captured hers and Marinette quickly glanced away.
"Please don't forget to bring a phone charger."

Marinette snorted, playfully shoving him away before she resumed her laundry. She carefully closed the drawers to dresser, and she shook her head.

"Are you my husband? Or my father? Don't you think I can take care of myself?" She asked, biting her lip as her heart soared inside of her chest.

Adrien chortled, sitting on the edge of the bed, but keeping his head lowered.
"No, I think I'll trust you. If you say you're fine and are used to doing things this way, I won't hound you to change what you're comfortable with." The blonde offered her a weary smile.

It nearly broke her heart. Marinette knew he was trying to help, but lately it appeared he had been so insecure. It was almost like something inside of him broke, and Marinette was afraid to ask what it was.