Chapter 10

He felt downcast.

There was a heavy feeling in Adrien's chest that he couldn't shake. He was incredibly disappointed in Kagami. He knew she was hurting, but he had hoped she would have at least tried being nice.

Adrien was still hungry, he was upset he never had a chance to try the strawberry tarts that Marinette had brought. The moment Adrien was able to catch a break from the photo sessions, he was heartbroken to learn that Kagami stomped on the basket, crushing the tarts to complete mush.

He had barely reached Alya and Nino on their way out, but now Adrien was left behind with a calamitous feeling in his chest. He was alone. Marinette had never returned home. Adrien couldn't have imagined what she had been feeling. In fact, Adrien was almost sure he knew. He knew what it felt like to be around someone who didn't care enough to even hide the fact that they didn't want him around. The thought made his heart squeeze with pain. The male returned to the bedroom, grabbing some fresh clothes for a shower. He was worried. He couldn't explain why, but he felt like he really wanted to be there for her and protect her. He knew Marinette was capable of protecting herself, but it couldn't ease the worry. The least he could have done was apologize on Kagami's behalf. Especially for obnoxiously screaming at her.

The male scrolled through his phone, chewing on his bottom lip as he pulled up Nino's contact. Having the hunch that Nino was most likely still with Alya, he pressed the dial button. His heart ached as he hoped that Alya would at least know where Marinette could have ran off to.

_________________________________________

Marinette was in an extremely strenuous predicament. The female had decided to return to her old apartment. She often realised that this was her thinking space - the only space where she was calm enough to control her emotions. The last few days had been nothing but a catastrophe. Marinette couldn't figure out if it was simply a twisted change of fate, or if she was struggling with a string of bad luck.

She couldn't return back to the home she shared with Adrien. Her anxiety had already began to consume her almost completely. The way Kagami had treated her was incredibly cruel, and Marinette couldn't help but wonder if, somehow, Adrien had felt that way about her too. She knew that she had been a handful the last couple of weeks. All she ever did was cause problems. She was just an emotional burden to him as well as her friends. Each time she attempted to be kind and make it up, something always went awry. But at least she knew the truth.

Marinette curled up into her bed, knowing that Alya would bump into Adrien sometime during the night and return here to her apartment to retrieve her, but Marinette just wanted to be alone. Her blue eyes shifted to her phone screen and Marinette had began to think about the financial burden of keeping up with the rent. She had been taking off almost every night of work to do events for the wedding. A wedding that she was incredibly close to just walking out on. She pressed her lips together, knowing that if she did such a thing she could put her parents' business in jeopardy. She'd hate herself forever if she did that.

The blunette sat up, contemplating days she could opt to take in an attempt to gather enough money in time to pay her rent. Despite struggling, Marinette refused to ask anyone for money. Not her friends, not her family and certainly not her soon-to-be husband. She didn't care how rich he was. It just wasn't in her nature to depend on anyone. For as long as she could remember, Marinette had to rely only on herself. That independence only grew when Felix coldly left her behind. Having a partner to hold some of the burden remained completely unfamiliar to Marinette.