Chapter 7

"It's shitty to ship real people, but I really ship them..." Nino disclosed, glancing back at Alya briefly as the brunette sat beside him on the booth.

Alya kept her eyes locked on Marinette, who sat awkwardly at the bar alone with the tray of Jello shots. She hummed, taking a glimpse of Adrien exiting through the front door, only assuming his girlfriend wanted to keep tabs on him.
"I hate to say it, but I'd have to agree with you. I mean, honestly as opposed to her last boyfriend, anything is better than that." Alya confided, crossing her arms with a scowl. It was a known fact that Alya wasn't a huge fan of Felix. The little she did know of Adrien, she realized that he could be a genuine person, he was just tremendously ingenuous.

Nino pursed his lips, contemplating if it was a good idea to inquire an elaboration as his curiosity was getting the best of him.
"So, I'm assuming her ex boyfriend was a shithole." Nino prompted, his eyes catching Alya's as she looked over to meet his gaze.

The female bit her lip contemplating reluctance. She wasn't sure if it was her business to share, but Alya sighed, deciding that Nino was trustworthy enough to know.
"She dated another Agreste. Adrien's cousin." Alya clarified, her eyes glancing down at the drink in her hands. "He was with her for a long time, and then he just left her. He never gave her a logical reason why. He just said he was tired of her..." Alya's voice trailed off in the sound of the music that surrounded them.

Nino widened his eyes briefly. He knew there were some callous people in the world, but never expected it to be this close to heart. Marinette seemed like such a sweet girl. It was incredibly heartbreaking to him that someone would do that to her.
"I didn't realize that Adrien had family as inconsiderate as his father. I guess it must be a genetic thing." Nino commented, leaning into the booth and running his thumb along his bottom lip as he let her words sink in.

Alya tsked, pressing the lip of her cup to her mouth and quickly drinking some of her cherry coke and rum.
"Tell me about it." She muttered. "It was super fucked up. Marinette had built her walls before, but she never isolated herself this terribly. I've been friends with her for such a long time. All she's ever done is allow people to walk over her, take advantage of her, and talk down to her. She keeps herself in her home all day, and she wouldn't date anyone else because she still holds out for the douche that broke her heart..." the vexation in her voice was saturating. It was inevitable for Nino to miss.

"Wow..." Nino breathed, his brows perking as he quickly looked back at Marinette who began taking a few hits of her jello shots.
"Talk about blinded by love..."

Alya shook her head, pressing her lips together. "Yeah, we'll see about that..." She muttered under her breath.

The two sat in silence, the music booming through their chests. Nino felt awful for Marinette. He could tell that Alya was very protective of Marinette. It was almost as if she took on a mother figure or the big sister role in her life. Nino thought it was the most adorable thing. He found the passion and care in a woman very attractive, and the more he got to know who Alya was, the more he found himself drawn to her. She really was something else.

The male bit his lip, tapping his foot to the base of the song as he waited for the right moment to speak. He glanced over at her with a small smile.
"So..." He prompted. "You're very protective of Marinette. I get the feeling that you're a great friend, especially after witnessing the struggles of life..." He murmured, spinning the glass of Yeager in his hand to stir in the ice to regulate the cold temp throughout his drink. He pressed the glass to his lips and took a quick swig, shivering at the bitterness. "I think its quite noble," Nino breathed, shrugging nonchalantly. "I think it's adorable."