Chapter 5

He was tired.

The photoshoot lasted longer than he had expected. He didn't mean to stay over past lunch hours, but they had a couple wardrobe malfunctions, and it went without saying that Kagami had an eyeful. The lights were so intense, Adrien swore he attained a sort of sunburn. He quite enjoyed Kagami's company, but today he grew weary. Every second he got away from the camera to collect his bearings, Kagami had him by the mouth.

He enjoyed their moments together, but lately it had gotten to the point where his face was hurting. His lips were sore, and the passion mustered behind each kiss felt more of a competition than a sentiment. Adrien was sure she treated their kisses as a form of competition. Like she was doing it to substantiate a purpose she was meant to get out there. That purpose remained completely undivulged to Adrien. Though he may have been a bit disinclined to find out rather than eager.

Adrien felt sluggish. As insane as it sounded, he couldn't wait to curl into the makeshift bed he had created on the hard floor. Even that sounded better than standing all day. Adrien stepped inside his home, almost afraid of bumping into Marinette. He enjoyed the house, it was nice and thoughtful. He loved being on his own, than to be kept away under the tight confines of his old bedroom wall at home with his father under the same roof. Hell, even here he could run around his home completely naked if he wanted to because Marinette avoided him like the bubonic plague.

He exhaled, closing the door behind him. The blonde was just about to hurry up to his bedroom until a salubrious aroma caught his attention. Almost instantly, Adrien's belly began to growl feverishly. He pressed his lips together, his feet carrying him to the source of the smell in the kitchen.

His curiosity outweighed the tiredness he was feeling. He had grown suspicious that his father had sent in a chef against Marinette's wishes. He only half expected that she was in her room, hiding away from all company. Adrien poked his head into the kitchen, his eyes darting around the area for his suspected chef. The model paused, his green eyes landing upon his female companion.

Marinette placed a plate of fresh bread on the counter, a small blush of exhaustion deepening against her freckles. The blunette wiped sweat from her brow with the back of her oven mitts. A dust of flour rested on her pink cheek, her hair slowly coming undone from the bun atop her head. Her pink lips pouted as she took a seat at the kitchen table. Marinette reached behind her to untie the apron from around her waist.

The blonde's eyes widened. It was as if he was struck by a bag of bricks. He felt completely dumbfounded, he was almost sure this wasn't the same person from the night before. He couldn't help but to wonder if she had turned a new leaf, or if she was beginning to warm up to the fact that they were both stuck with one another whether they liked it or not. Part of Adrien suspected that he walked in at the wrong time. Perhaps she was caught off guard, he wasn't meant to see her so... human.

Adrien turned on his heels, walking back towards the steps. His heart raced as he was perhaps a bit too noisy, but his main focus was to haul ass to avoid dirty looks from his future betrothed. Adrien had just made it to the steps when he heard Marinette exit the kitchen.

"Wait!" Marinette called out to him, her eyes wide as she was more than able to tell that he wanted to avoid her.

Adrien pressed his lips together, halting at the steps the moment he heard her voice. Adrien immediately began to worry, he was caught. The last thing he wanted was to make her uncomfortable or push her buttons. He wasn't the confrontational type, anyone could ask his father. Adrien avoided his father all the time because he was simply intimidating. Marinette was nearly the same. As far as Adrien was concerned, she was just another person that didn't care for his existence.