Chapter 4

Marinette whined the moment she wrapped her arms around her parents. The party was drawing to a close, most guests had their dinner and the servers were scurrying to pick up their plates and clean off the tables.

Marinette knew that she was to return to Adrien's gifted home with him for the night. Had Marinette known she wasn't going to return to her apartment for the night she would have played sick and postponed attending the event for as long as she could. She missed her bed, she missed her pillows and even though she couldn't sleep lately, she was comfortable in it. The female wanted to crumble into the ground, she wanted to protest and scream like a little child but instead decided to consolidate herself by reminding herself that it was for one night… for now simply to just indulge herself.  

"It's going to be okay..." her mother cooed, running her hand through her daughter's hair. "The house might be beautiful. Just think of it as a vacation..."

Marinette's expression fell flacid and she pulled away from her mom to get a better look at her face. 

"Yeah… a permanent vacation." She muttered under her breath with slumped shoulders. 

"Heyyy-" Her father cut in, placing his hand on her shoulder, forcing her to stand up straight. "If you want, ask if you can bring some of your stuff in. If it's going to be for a few days." He suggested, his hand lifting up Marinette's face.

"I guess..." Marinette pouted. She glanced up, watching the building empty little by little. Marinette noticed the limo pull up. Her heart immediately sank. She knew this was it - she was leaving her family and friends behind so that she could live with Adrien. 

"You looked so beautiful tonight..." Sabine commented, reaching to give Marinette a hug. "Call us the minute you get home. You'll have to invite us over sometime."

"I don't even know what it looks like..." Marinette conceded. "For all I know it's not even liveable."

"Yeah, like people who you claim are snobby because they're rich, would definitely gift you a home that's not liveable." Alya interjected, showing up from behind Marinette with a light pat on her back.

The blunette sighed, rolling her eyes at her friend with a wry expression.

"Can't you just let me wallow in my own self pity?" She replied with an inscrutable voice.

Alya shook her head, giving her friend an apologetic smile. "Nope!" She replied. "Anyway. It's getting late, thanks for letting me ride in your limo. It was fun." Alya wrapped her arms around Marinette, giving her a soft squeeze.

Marinette reluctantly reciprocated. She pulled some of Alya's strands of hair from her mouth and subtly pulled away.

"Do you need a ride back home?"

Alya bit her lip and smiled weakly.

"Uh, actually I kinda already have one..." the brunette admitted bashfully.

Marinette furrowed her brow, before she could even question it Alya took off running out the front doors. Rose hopped in front of Marinette, giving her a soft hug. 

"You looked absolutely beautiful tonight." She piped, a wide smile on her face. 

Marinette couldn't tell what it was about Rose that always ignited her with a ray of hope. Whatever it was, Marinette was glad to have it. 

"Thanks..." Marinette replied, placing a hand on her chest and glancing down at her outfit once more. "I'm really happy you were able to attend."

Rose pulled her into another hug, holding her one last time before she gave her a farewell cheek kiss and exited the building.