Chapter 55

This chapter is horrible. I updated early so y'all can grow abs cringing.

_________________________________________

Marinette grunted, placing a heavy tray of cupcakes onto the buffet table.

   She reached up, wiping some sweat from her hairline with a deep breath.

   The young woman turned, glancing around the patio Chloe had kindly allowed them onto. 

  Her blue eyes bounced around each corner, glancing at every yellow, pink and blue balloon that was tied to the baluster. The pool could be seen from the other side, and Marinette could really see it coming together.

Granted, Marinette was a little bummed that Adrien couldn’t make it. She would have begged Gabriel Agreste in person to cancel the photoshoot at the studio so that Adrien could accompany her and help set up for the party that her and Chloe planned, but the fear on Adrien's face disparaged that idea almost instantly.

   If Adrien was intimidated by his own father, then Marinette would certainly be too. She was now his daughter-in-law, surely he wouldn't be easy on her either.

Instead, Adrien remained up with her throughout the night, learning and helping Marinette with the cupcakes and lollipops. They weren't expecting a lot of company - in fact, it was just a small get together to buy gifts for Alya and Nino's baby, but Chloe wanted to make it special and Marinette couldn’t have agreed more.

  Every mother deserved a baby shower.

  Marinette agreed to save some sweets for Adrien, so he could at least try some of the ones he helped make, and with the help of his bodyguard, Marinette was able to pack the baby gifts into the car. 

  Chloe staggered into a corner, placing the heavy boxes of baby toys and crib pieces. Nino set up the baby swing, stuffing it with diapers and baby wipes. 
It didn't seem appropriate to serve alcoholic drinks at a baby shower, and Marinette knew for a fact that Alya would be sour to see everyone drinking without her, so Marinette opted Chloe's servants to bring juices and sodas instead while Marinette prepared the cupcake display. 

A small smile tugged on her lips as she set the cupcakes up in a way that appeared to take the shape of one huge bottle.

  She glanced up at Chloe's servants as they placed the sodas juices and snacks around the cupcakes. Marinette pressed her lips together, putting the takeout cake boxes her parents gave her from their bakery off to the side, just in case anyone wanted to bring some home. 

  She knew Alya had an icing craving; she figured perhaps the woman of the afternoon would want to hoard some cupcakes back down to her apartment. 

  "Should we set up the crib here before I bring her up?" Nino asked, a deep blush on his cheeks as it was quite obvious he was a nervous wreck. 

  Chloe scoffed, huffing as she stood up to place her hands onto her hips.

  "Why would you set it up here?" She teased. "The baby would be sleeping at your place, not up here."

Nino blinked, a nervous smile on his lips as he ran his hand through his hair.

  "O-Oh, yeah that's right," he breathed sheepishly. "I'm a nervous wreck."