Chapter 24

A/N: Major thanks to my new editor Freddy101 who was amazing enough to edit this chapter for me and help me improve it away from its raw form.

Please enjoy my art featured in this chapter!

_________________________________________

Marinette glanced down at the ladybug hairpin in her hand. 
Her heart ached as she could still feel Kagami's hand plummeted into her chest.

She had felt so confused, and Marinette couldn't derail the image of Emilie's ring on Kagami's finger.
She could still hear Adrien's voice echoing in the back of her mind, pitching the idea that she retuned the ring to him.

He planned to move in with her, marry her and even thought it was a great idea to invite her to their wedding.

Marinette wanted to be angry, but when she really thought about it, she had no one to blame but herself.
She knew it was coming, she knew of his plans, he told her he had planned to do so.

Each time she felt herself falling deeper into him, she would always tell herself to worry about it later.

  She was only hurting herself, that much was evident. 
But after seeing the rocky path that Adrien was on when it came to Kagami, there was always that sliver of hope that Marinette held on to that she believed would guide Adrien in her direction. 

It was a foolish thing to believe, especially with how things turned out with Felix.

   She truly believed that even after everything they went through, he would somehow choose her.

   But deep down Marinette knew that she had no place in his life the same way Kagami did.

   She couldn't understand why it had been so hard to accept that.
   Adrien had a game plan - he had a life with goals long before they were forced into this marriage.
   It certainly didn't give Kagami the right to assault her, but Marinette needed to understand that she had no place to be in his life...perhaps not even as a friend.

   But Marinette wanted something more, and if she wanted herself to look towards the future and finally leave Adrien behind, she knew she'd have to look towards Luka.
   The only person who had remotely shown interest in her in all the right ways.

   Marinette thought that her shower would make her feel better about the whole situation, but it only gave her time to thoroughly derail into her self deprecating thoughts. It had left a sour taste in her mouth, and her stomach began to turn. 

   The blunette kept her towel wrapped tightly around her body as she then glared at her reflection in the mirror. 

   Her eyes puffed up slightly from her crying moments prior in the shower, and Marinette wanted herself to appear as normal as she could before she would then venture to Alya's home to figure out what she was hiding.
  The last thing she wanted to happen was for Alya to turn everything over on her and further deflect the potential conversation that she wanted to pursue.

   Marinette placed the ladybug hair pin back on to the dresser and she grabbed her phone from her bag.
  Her digit scrolled across her phone screen, her lips pursing as her thumb pressed into Luka's contact.

   The blunette immediately dropped the towel from around her body, and meticulously pinched the phone between her shoulder and cheek as she opened a drawer and pulled out a pair of panties.

   She listened to the other line ring a couple times as she stepped into her underwear and snapped the band at her waist.
   Marinette wandered to the closet, grabbing some clothes and throwing it on top of the bed the moment she heard his voice.