He wants to tell you, but he's scared - Virgil & Picani

1:21am

Au

"You said he was a couple-therapist" Virgil pointed out, dragging his rough finger across the edge of the window, focused on the texture of hard plastic.

Thomas sighed beside him, pushing his hair away from his eyes only for it to fall right back into place. "I know but- he said he could see me. After my last therapist retired it's- it's been hard to find a new one" his grip on the steering wheel tightened as he made a sharp turn down a road, much less busier than the main thankfully. According to his GPS they were only five minutes away.

Virgil pried his eyes away from his hand to focus on his dad, lifting his shoulder up to a shrug, "sorry... I know it sucks. But do you really need a therapist? I mean- you were fine on the anti-depressants..." Thomas took a glance at his son, face softening, "I know you're worried for me, kiddo, but I was better on anti-depressants because I was also in therapy. Trust me, this is better for the both of us. You... won't have to stay with uncle Lo for long periods of time, either" he added, the chipper tone in his voice was painful, and blatantly forced, but nevertheless Virgil smiled slightly.

"Yeah, s'cool.."

Thomas chewed his bottom lip, thankful to hear the robotic voice tell him their destination had been reached. He pulled into a free parking space and shut off the engine, the two sat in silence for a few minutes before Thomas slowly turned to his son. "I'm... sorry that you had to go. I-I wasn't feeling great, and I never would've hurt you, but I might've neglected you and I-"

"Dad" Virgil cut him off, mostly because he hated conversations like this, and because he understood. He'd never blame his father, after all his depressive episodes weren't his fault. "It's fine. Really. Uncle Lo is cool, we all have our shit-... our down moments, I guess, I'll never hold it against you"

Thomas smiled warmly at his son, deciding to let him off swearing just this once. At least he corrected himself. Reaching over, he ruffled his son's hair with tears in his eyes. "Thank you, Kiddo. I love you"

Virgil huffed and fixed his hair, managing a small smile in return. "Love you too"

The two left the car after that, Thomas paid for a ticket to stay for two hours and they headed towards an office building painted a soft pink. There was a garden out front either side of a marble pathway leading right to the glass doors, with a small fountain and even a pond of water too. The grass adorned with many beautiful flowers, and a single tree towards the corner.

"This place looks... disgusting" Virgil commented, Thomas merely laughed and held open the door for him. "It's pretty!" His father corrected, the woman behind the counter looked up and smiled happily, while Thomas spoke to her Virgil looked around the waiting area, there was a split between the section for adults and section for children, but it was hard to distinguish. One side of the room had a carpet of a small, cartoon town - with roads, buildings, trees, which Virgil presumed children could push toy cars across, plus towards the blue wall was an open box filled with toys.

A poster here and there dedicated to shows like Peppa Pig or Double Agent Oso, and the chairs were smaller and coloured bright.

The other side of the room also had a child-like carpet, but instead they were large multicoloured puzzle pieces connected, and the chairs (while larger) were also bright and even sparkly? The walls had posters for Avatar and Spongebob, plus a coffee table with Disney magazines, a Repunzel and Ariel doll, and even... teddy bears sitting on the seats.

"Are you sure this isn't just... a child therapy place?" Virgil asked once sitting down with his father on the larger chairs, moving aside the teddies. Thomas looked around himself, surprise twisting his features at how child-like it all was, but it made him feel happy, so he was smiling by the time he answered his son's question. "Yep! The therapist really likes cartoons, though" he explained, reaching forward to pick up one of the Disney magazines.