Coming out - Roman x Deceit

1:00pm

My friend wanted Roceit so she shall have Roceit!

Au

"Serpiente!" Roman yelled, crashing through their dorm room carrying a book above his head in triumph. His girlfriend, Maya, glanced up from her lap where she was sewing a hole shut in one of her favourite shirts. She had become used to Roman's grand and sudden entrances - so much so she doesn't even flinch anymore.

"Hello, Prince Charming" she responded calmly, although unable to stop smiling lightly as Roman squealed and threw his bag onto his bed, giving his girlfriend a quick hug before sitting opposite her and quickly rambling about the book he had spent months trying to find and now it was in his grasp!

"I can finally read it again! And relive all those wonderful memories from childhood!" He bursted with pure excitement, grinning at Maya with the brightest smile she had ever seen him wear. She set aside her shirt to shift closer to her boyfriend, gazing at the cover of the book - it was old and worn, presumably found in the old book store in town. They had all sorts of books one could ever dream of, but due to Roman being unable to remember the name of the book (until he saw it) he barely had any hope finding it.

"I commend your determination" she prided, Roman giggled ecstatically, leaving it on his bedside table but quickly returning to his girlfriend's bed, pulling her willing self onto his lap so he could gaze at her properly. "Oh my beauty, how I've missed you whilst I was on my quest... now I can gaze at your breathtaking face once more" he breathed out, cupping her face, thumbs tracing across her smooth skin.

While Maya usually felt her stomach rupture into butterflies and love, today was... different. It had been for awhile. A few weeks into Roman's 'quest' of finding his favourite book Maya had thought about herself, and what she wanted. Being so focused on her family, then her education, then her lover she never really had much time to work herself out; now she lived in a dorm, on a short break from work, and with Roman so focused on his own activities... she could sit down and give herself a self-care afternoon.

What she realised? She was actually really... uncomfortable. Existing the way she was. It wasn't anyone in her life, or her choices in colleges and work, rather how she presented herself, her identity and sexuality. She fretted for awhile at the thought of being lesbian, for Roman was her boyfriend whomst she loved with all her heart - but she realised she wasn't, she was actually bisexual. Which wasn't too life altering, her family were very accepting, and so was Roman. Heck- he was bi too! But that wasn't the worst of it.

Well, worst to her.

She realised, standing in a mirror, she didn't like what she saw. Her curves, her large chest, or her shoulder length hair. She didn't like any of it. Her oval face, round feminine eyes, soft pink lips.

It dawned on her that maybe, maybe, she wasn't the gender she was born with. After much consideration and tests, mainly consisting of tears and terrible thoughts, she concluded she wasn't a girl; and he was a boy. What made it worse was all the stories he read, from real life to made up, everyone discovered their identity at a younger age. Maya was eighteen- did that take away the validity of it? Of his choice? Maybe it was stress of education making him delirious, or maybe it was simply body dysphoria that didn't exactly mean he wanted to be a boy.

But when he started to refer to himself by male pronouns, and by his new name, it felt wonderful. And after awhile hearing Maya, and misgendering, hurt, it hurt so much.

He wanted to come out, but first he wanted to tell his boyfriend who deserved to know the most. After all, it could seriously affect their relationship, and he would understand if Roman didn't want to be with him anymore - even if that tore him up inside. He was truly in love with Roman, ever since ninth grade.