I support you - Patton & Virgil

8:20pm

Sooooo when am I gonna train my brain to release happy chemicals every time I hear a certain sound

Au

"The sunset's always so pretty" Patton sighed out contently, chin resting on his knees that were covered with an old pair of denim dungarees. Ripped in parts, stained with mud in others, Patton loved it all the same, especially the grey top he wore with that wasn't always grey.

His closest friend since he could remember, named Virgil, hummed in agreement where he laid beside him. He was propped up on his elbows, eyes watching the sun setting in the distance. It casted an array of colours in the sky, purples, pinks, reds, oranges, yellows - seemingly all the colours in the world, whatever it wanted, wherever it wanted.

The two boys often sat a top of the that hill, it wasn't too steep of a climb but Virgil was always left panting when they reached the top while Patton would just giggle and sit down gracefully with his legs crossed. The hill itself was a ten minute walk from the small village they lived in, after work they'd grab some dinner and (after permission from their parents) would come up here and spend time together without a care in the world.

"Did your dad tell you about Mr. Harrison?" Patton asked after awhile, curious about the family his mother told him of this morning.

Virgil flopped back completely on the yellow dusted ground, gazing up at the dark blue sky that hadn't mixed with the other colours yet. "Remind me?" He responded, voice slightly groggy. He had done a lot of physical work that day, sue him for being tired. Patton giggled and stretched out his legs, leaning back on his arms.

"They're the new family moving in, Mr. Harrison has three daughters and one son" he explained and the memory of his dad telling him about it made him let out a puff of air. He remembered now, he also remembered his dad pestering him to get close with one of the girls - he was almost eighteen now and needed to find someone suitable to marry before it was 'too late'.

Unfortunately the idea of marriage always made him uncomfortable, the thought of finding a girl who was attractive and deciding 'she was the one' on looks alone made him feel...weird. He couldn't imagine himself marrying a girl, or anyone for that matter. He'd rather let the other boys who lived here try for the girl's hand first, then he has an excuse for his father who won't be pleased but at least will leave him alone for a bit.

"What...do you think?" Virgil moves the question back to Patton who tilted his head and thought. "I'm sure they'll be great! The more the merrier" he replied happily and Virgil should have known, compared to how some men in this village treat their wives Virgil was sure Patton would treat his like she were a member of royalty. He liked that about Patton, he was the nicest boy he's ever met, never asking, always giving - only revealing true emotions to Virgil who adores comforting him and bringing him joy in his down times.

After awhile Patton slowly sat up again, fiddling with the grass stems below him. "Virge?" He murmured gently, wanting to bring something up but not really knowing how.

"Yeah?" He replied, noticing Patton's change in behaviour and sitting up too - he could tell this was getting serious. Patton managed a small smile to try and ease him but really Virgil just wanted him to hurry up with it - the longer he had to wait the more his anxiety prevailed.

"You seemed sad today...why?" He asked, voice as gentle as ever whenever he was in 'comforting' mode. Virgil stiffened, he had really hoped Patton didn't notice his change in behaviour today. He thought he got away with it too, he supposes he couldn't put this thing past Patton though.

"I didn't get much sleep and dad's been asking about girls again, that's all" he waved off but Patton knew that was a lie, Virgil never looked him in the eye when he lied. Shifting closer Patton pressed his lips together, he didn't know how to bring this up without making Virgil feel uncomfortable or out of his depth but he needed to know. It's been festering in his mind for weeks since the first time he saw it.

"Is it because you..." Patton drifted, glancing away. Virgil stared at him apprehensively through his long bangs. "You like to...to wear..um.." he cleared his throat, Virgil gripped onto his long sleeves, panic stricken across his face - something Patton didn't notice due to him focusing so much on the ground. "Like to wear dresses?"

Virgil's throat tightened, he guessed that's what Patton meant but hearing it made it worse. Patton looked up to his friend after the silence seemed to stretch on for too long, eyes widening when he noticed how scared he was.

"Virgil, Virge, hey, hey..." he reached out and grabbed his hands, crawling on his knees closer to his friend to wrap him in a hug and pull him close to his chest. Virgil's hand's gripped Patton's clothes and held himself there tightly while trying to keep his breathing under control, usually following the rise and fall of Patton's chest helped him out immensely and once that was established became like second nature between the two.

"How-how did you-" Virgil spluttered, Patton just shushed him softly, running a hand up and down his back. Similar to Patton he also wore an old pair of dungarees but his top was black with a dark grey jacket overtop.

"I walked into you room without knocking, you didn't notice" he explained in a tone near enough a whisper, "it was weeks ago, I promise no one else saw. I haven't told anyone either" and Patton could feel the relief flood through the poor boy's body. He was terribly worried about it with good reason too - if the village were to find out a boy liked to wear something meant for girls there would be an uproar, he didn't even want to think what Virgil's dad would do to him and his parents would forbid them to spend time together which would destroy Patton.

And, after a moment, Patton smiled. "You looked great, Virge" a simple compliment, one might receive quite commonly but for Virgil? In the circumstances? It nearly brought him to tears. He clung to Patton even further, like a koala bear to a tree, whispering a gentle thank you that wobbled with a wavering breath.

Patton pressed a single kiss to the crown of his head and the two sat there in silence until the sun was almost set. Then, together, they walked down the hill in a peaceful silence. Somewhere during the walk their pinkies had hooked but neither of them pulled away, instead smiles rose on their faces and they stayed that away until arriving close to the village.

"See you tomorrow, Virgil!" Patton gave his close friend a hug, one he reciprocated happily. "Yeah...get home safely"

"You too!" Patton giggled, sent him a blinding smile, turned and skipped away home. Virgil watched him until he was no longer visible, slowly turning the opposite way and heading home with his hands in his pockets.

He wondered if he'd ever be able to tell Patton he didn't feel exactly like a he anymore...

Sorry for taking so long to update :/ being in college has completely changed the game and given me less time to write, still here you go! I think I'll do a part two to this, plus it is set in olden times

9:21pm