You pushed me - Roman x Virgil

2:17am

Trigger warning: attempted murder

Why did The Hunger Games almost give me a panic attack 🤪

Au

"And make sure to stay away from the edge!" The tour guide called to the group of adults and children who were sitting down to eat their midday snacks. They were all atop of a mountain, just across from them a steep drop into the unknown - the unknown being a dense forest that isn't really explored due to how easy it is to become lost. Many people have never come out when entering.

Roman had decided to take a seat on a comfortable enough rock, taking his bag off his shoulders and resting it between his legs, fishing around inside until he picked out his lunch box. He had decided to sign up for the tour for a few reasons, one; it wasn't too far away from where he lived and two; he had nothing else to do. With his friends off doing their own thing and him being on a break from theatre he didn't really have much to occupy his time with.

He had been meaning to go on this exact tour with his boyfriend but that failed when they inevitably broke up. Inevitably for Roman because no one he has ever been with has stuck around for long. He's either too eccentric, arrogant or insecure - and those are from the people who were confident enough to give truthful answers.

Sighing he tried to push those thoughts to the side, he was here to have a good time and not wallow in self pity which seemed like a common occurrence for him.

A little ways away from him leaning on a tree Virgil was plucking fruit from his plastic container, throwing them into his mouth while his eyes watched the sky over the side of the cliff he was currently the nearest too. He was honestly wondering why he was here, he hated leaving the house and nature never agreed with him - however when his friend finally encouraged him to do something other than sitting around all day he assumed this would be the best bet.

He wouldn't know anyone meaning less likely interaction and he'd be spending the day outside which would settle down his friend for another good few months.

Still he was now regretting it, it wasn't the nicest of days (meaning not chilly enough) and the tour guide was just too preppy, Virgil seriously considered bailing but he knew he'd become lost in five seconds flat and most certainly didn't want to bump into any wild animal that might look to him as food for them and their potential family.

The lunch break didn't last long enough in Virgil's opinion and soon enough everyone was up and walking again. Virgil had got into the habit of staying right at the back, trailing behind the adults who would often bring out a pair of binoculars and gaze up at the trees which made them even slower - Virgil would go ahead but that meant being closer to the more excitable adults who might talk to him. He shuddered at the mere thought of it.

So he bared through it, earbuds hidden in his ears due to the fact they weren't exactly allowed. He didn't want to listen to the tour guide, sue him! He just didn't really care about nature enough to learn facts about every single living creature that wasn't a human.

Seriously, he's learnt more today than his years in school. And just like school he wasn't paying attention.

Due to this he didn't realise how far the group had gone ahead until he lifted his head and noticed, in sudden alarm he picked up into a jog, relaxing when he neared them but they weren't exactly going fast, he swore a dead snail overtook them a few yards back.

The pathway split off into two routes, one safer, the other nearing the edge of the cliff. Obviously wanting the safer route he went for it but either side held thick shrubbery and of course standing right in his way was a man peering into the hedges at a caterpillar that didn't look exciting at all. He wanted to ask him to move but his social anxiety prevented him from doing so so with an inward groan he backtracked and took the pathway to the right, accidentally bumping into someone in the process.