It's okay - Patton x Roman

1:37am

Um yeah

Au

"Roman, stop"

"-and then everything will be fine!"

"Roman-"

"Everything is always fine! It always turns out fine! All the time!"

"Not this time, Roro"

"It will! It will! Trust me it will! It always will! It always does - everything is fine, I am fine"

Patton stared at his boyfriend with a soft gaze, arms hanging limp by his sides, they had long given up trying to control Roman who for hours has seemed so adamant that everything is fine, when it's not.

"Roro"

"What?" He huffed, eyes narrowed, arms crossed, lips pouted.

"It's not okay-"

"Don't say that-!"

"And that's okay - it's okay to not be okay. Not everything can be okay all the time"

Roman didn't budge, "but I am!"

"You're not, Ro. You know you're not-"

"Stop it, Patton! Everything is fine!"

"I'm not okay" that quietened him down. Patton neared again, frowning. "I'm upset, Roro, I'm not okay and.." he breathed in deeply - he always needed to be the strong one for them all, the protective dad of the group, the one they can all go to when they're upset and need someone to talk to. He couldn't be sad when others needed him. But he learned (and still is-) that being upset is okay. It's human. Apart of them all. Being happy all the time isn't right and shouldn't be forced upon anyone.

And in that moment, right now, Patton needed to not be okay.

"And that's okay, Roro. I want to cry, to curl up and cuddle with you because I am upset. I'm unhappy. Right now, everything is not fine - it's not bad but it's not good. But we can sort it out, together. We just have to make sure we're okay first" Patton's hand reaches out towards the side who was weakened by his words.

"But-but...I am okay" his voice was frail, meek. Patton would believe Deceit over him.

"Roro, lying is wrong, especially in this situation. How can I help you if you insist you're okay?"

Patton still held his hand out, holding it in the air, letting it hover, even if his arm ached with a dull pain, he would keep it there forever and more until Roman held it back.

"I'll help you instead" Roman countered, "I-I want to help you! You said you weren't okay, what can I do to help you, Cookie?"

He was close now, they both were, only an arms length away, that arm being Patton's. The side smiled, staring up at Roman with a gentle look. "By letting me help you"

This had gone on for hours, Patton couldn't recall the time but the sun was definitely up towards the beginning. Even if he was tired, hungry and achy, he didn't move, not even take a seat, he needed to be there for Roman, whatever it took, however long it takes - Patton loves him and he needs help more than anything right now.

"Cookie, please-!"

"Roro, please"

"Let me help you instead!"

"Let me help you instead"

"...stop it"

"Stop it"

"Cookie-!"

"Roro"

They both stared at each other in silence - it stretched out over a few minutes. Roman finally looked down at his hand that was right before him, ready for him to hold, cling onto like he so desperately wants.

"Patton, please" he insisted, voice bordering a whisper. It was broke.

"Roman, please" Patton insisted back. He wanted to reach out and hold him but he needed Roman to make the first move - he needed it.

Roman's hands began to tremble, his whole body following suit. His knees buckled, ready to collapse. He looked at Patton's hand again, then met his gaze, his intense yet soft gaze telling him everything he needed to know. He wouldn't be mocked, shoved aside, forgotten, told to get over it. His insecurities wouldn't be tapped into, he wouldn't have to defend himself, he wouldn't have to hold back how he truly felt to uphold his Princey-front.

He could relax.

He could let it all go.

And, after a moment of hesitation, contemplation, wild thoughts coming to a screeching halt, he seemed to be unable to hold it all back.

He reached forward, slowly, ever so slowly, their finger tips brushed and that was all Patton needed. Before Roman could fall he swooped in and caught him, arms around his waist, pulling him to the bed behind them as they flopped down and cried together, Roman pressing his face into his chest, clinging like a koala bear to a tree while Patton hid his face in his hair, bundling his shirt in his hands, clenched so tight his knuckles turned white.

They hugged and cried. For hours. Nothing but a mess of limbs, tears, snot and sobs.

Once the only sound filling the room was sniffles; Roman finally spoke up.

"Cookie?" He murmured, voice cracking.

"Yeah, Roro?" Patton sniffled with a smile.

"I'm not okay" he whispered and Patton smiled some more.

"Neither am I, Roro, and you know what?"

Roman looked up at him.

"That's okay"

Yeah it's two am what am I doing

2:01am