26. A Way Back Home

It was in the afternoon that the know-it-all monk was free, finishing all of her work for the day. She invited us to her room when no other monks were around. Speaking of which, she was quite young to be a monk and was acting very suspicious. She seemed to be... a con.

She just appeared out of nowhere sweeping the ground! And she had to wait for all the monks to go to a meeting in the afternoon to let us inside her room. Yes, she skipped the fucking meeting. How was she a 'good' monk?

"Do you want some tea?" She smiled.

"No thanks!" Jungkook and I replied simultaneously. It seemed like we didn't want to be poisoned.

"Last year I met a man coming from 2019. I also met a woman in the previous years who claimed to be from 2017." She started her story as she made a cup of tea for herself. "Do you know what do you guys have in common?"

I shook my head.

"Unhappy life full of regretfulness." She said.

How the mother of chairs-

"I- I don't think I was too unhappy in 2020..."

"Think more carefully, Koo Y/N-ssi." The monk sat down in front of us. 

Jungkook patted lightly on my shoulder, flashing me a warm smile. 

After a brief of moment of thinking, I sighed. "The beginning of 2020 was okay for me, but when my ex-boyfriend got released from prison and came to find me, I- I don't know anymore. But one thing for sure that I regretted being his girlfriend."

"There are more things added to that; they're just in your unconscious. But what happened between you and your ex-boyfriend was the main contributor." The monk sipped the tea. Now, she was like a therapist instead of a monk.

I nodded in agreement although I couldn't hide the fact that I still doubted this monk in front of me. "I fell into a lake, and somehow my ex also fell into it afterward. So we both came back to 2016, but we were teleported to different lakes, I think."

"Your ex-boyfriend from 2020 is here?" The monk looked surprised. "Sometimes, people can travel with you back in time for no reason, too. Just that you all would be separated."

"But... why do unhappy and regretful people got sent back? And why was it a four-year cycle?" I said in a perplexing manner.

"Four is the number of death." The monk explained. "Going back in time was a gift given to those people to re-live and also change their fate. However, there are prices that come along with the gift. I will say this time-travel thing is more like a curse in disguise."

Jungkook looked extremely worried so he paid attention as closely as possible.

"First, your real timeline in 2020 had stopped the moment you set foot to 2016, meaning you can't grow old, can't die in any way even if it is painful, basically your whole body will be kept as it is when you left 2020."

"Second, there are unknown consequences of changing your own fate. It's a gift to be able to change it, but you never know if you change it to better or worse. If you luckily change your fate to better, good for you. But if you unluckily change your fate to worse, there are horrible consequences that you can't even imagine. You might disappear, for instance."

Jungkook's face went pale, so was mine. I clenched both of my fists, trying my best to stay focus.

"And third, not many people can survive going back in time. They can starve and die right at the moment the clock hit their true timeline, be homeless for four years, and so on. You're lucky you've met someone that is willing to help you." The monk smiled.