25. The Mysterious Monk

The car ride was wordless. Instead of all the fun and thrill we got on our short vacation, all I felt right now was apprehension. I was afraid of losing them, people that I began to see as friends. I worried more and more about Jimin since he was always the main target. 

I don't know what can I do without Jimin. 

If something happened to Jimin, I felt like all the unbreakable promises that he made, to keep me safe and to send me home, would diffuse into nothingness. And I would be pressured by a tremendous amount of guilt.

"Don't worry, Y/N. The hyungs are good at dealing with these kinds of situations. We encountered these attacks a lot." Jungkook wanted to comfort me, but hearing how they had been in this situation before made my heart ache painfully.

Jungkook continued. "Since the airport isn't safe anymore, we're going somewhere else. It's a secret hideout, only Jimin and Jin hyung knew about it. But this morning he gave me the address in case something happened during our trip."

I was confused. "So you guys knew about this?"

"Well, no, but we are always on our guard. Have to prepare for anything." Jungkook chuckled, trying to brighten the mood.

--

It was a temple inside a fishing village and the sun had set when we arrived there quietly. I couldn't sleep no matter how tired I was. The temple was surrounded by a forest that was now covered in red flames of autumn. Jungkook parked his car in a spot that seemed quite covert; he also threw tons of leaves onto the car to make it look less obvious. 

Then, we reached the main temple on foot. A monk was already standing in front of the gate waiting for us. He and Jungkook greeted each other with respect.

"Thank you for doing this." Jungkook bowed.

"Oh no, Mr. Jeon. The temple and I owed you and Mr. Park a lot of things." The monk gently smiled.

"Y/N, for safety purposes, we have to sleep in one room." Jungkook said as we followed the monk to another house. 

"Yeah, I'm fine with it." I replied.

During the short walk, a big question popped up in my head: Why were they risking their lives just to keep me out of danger? I admitted that I wanted protection and safety so I demanded from them. But currently, I just wanted them to forget about my stupid demands and come to a safe place.

Taehyung, especially, often talked about how hard it was to survive in their world. This thought made me even more worried and anxious.

"Jungkook? Are you sleeping?" When the candles were blown off for about an hour, I wiggled back and forth under the blanket. 

"... No." Jungkook seemed to be too worried to sleep, just like me.

"Do you think that the team is safe?" I asked.

"Indeed." Not hearing any hesitance in his voice, my heart couldn't help but doubt.

"How are you so sure?"

Jungkook turned to me. "I trust them fully." Although he was lying on a mattress right next to me, I couldn't see his face clearly in the dark.

Staying quiet for a moment, I spoke up again. "I'm sorry. Because of me, you are-"

"No, Y/N. Don't blame yourself." He sighed. "We never want you to blame yourself."

"But- I just-" Couldn't control my outburst of emotions, I sobbed.

Jungkook didn't reach out, maybe he wanted to leave me alone for a moment. 

"I don't know why they are attacking us, but I feel like it's because of me that- that you're here instead of fighting side by side with your hyungs. An- and, it's also because of me that the others are risking their lives out there and I have no idea what's going on." I sobbed harder.