85

"Wake up baby." Colby said and shook my shoulder gently, causing me to crack my eyes open, "happy birthday," he said and kissed me, "happy Halloween." I retorted causing him to roll his eyes, "don't be like that Cor, your birthday is worth celebrating." He said and pulled my arms so I that I would be sitting up. "What the hell is that?" I asked and pointed to the bag that was hanging on the door, "oh that's our costumes. They came in this morning." He said and I got out of bed stretching, "are we seriously all just being pumpkins?" I asked with a laugh when I opened the bag to see a bunch of orange.

"Yeah, it's perfect! We are like a little pumpkin patch." He said with a laugh, "right, and you're going to wear that to the party tonight?" I asked as I brushed my hair out, I showered with it wet since Mia spit up on me last night. "I'm not go-" he started but I shook my head, "you said you would go for a little while!" I said and pointed at him. He let out an exhausted breath, "why are you so adamant about me going?" He asked and I frowned, "because I want you to have fun. I want you to be able to party every once in a while. I never liked parties so I don't mind watching Mia during them. You're only 23 Cole, you are still young." I said and he came up and put his hands on my waist.

"I know you want me to have fun, but how shitty would I be if I left you alone on your birthday." He said and looked intensely into my eyes, "Not shitty at all, I'm telling you to go because I love you and I want you to be able to let loose. I know you gave up a lot when Mia was born, I just don't want you to think that you can never have fun again." I said and reached up to brush his hair with my hand. "I really won the lottery with you. You know that?" He asked quietly and let his eyes comb through my features. "Yeah, I do know." I said and winked, then turned away, "so are you wearing that to the party?" I asked again and went into the closet to change.

"Yeah I guess I will, I think it was keep the girls away which is exactly what I want." He said and leaned against the doorframe as I got changed, "I don't think they care about the costume you're wearing, you're hot as hell. Every girl is going to talk to you." I said and he scrunched his face with confusion. "And you're okay with that?" He asked and I laughed, "I know you'll come home to me at the end of the day, let the thirsty girls drink their water." I said and wink as he ran to me, lifting me up in the air causing me to laugh, "put me downnnnn!" I yelled and his his arms as he spun,

"I love you so much, like I can't even show you how much." He said and put me to the floor, "I love you too, and I'm trusting you. If you fuck up then I hope you enjoyed your time with Mia, the balls in your court, Brock." I said and shrugged, "now come on I want to see my sweet girl on her first Halloween." I said and grabbed his hand dragging him out of the room.

When we got to the nursery Mia was already wearing a cute onesie with a ghost on the front, she was laid in her crib next to a little box, "what's this?" I asked and picked it up as she giggled happily at me. "It's your birthday present from Mia and I." Colby said sheepishly.

When I opened it I felt the tears spring to my eyes, it was a silver bracelet, on the inside of it was Mia's birthday and our wedding date carved into the metal. "I love it, thank you." I said and hugged Colby, "happy birthday baby girl." He mumbled and kissed my head.

I pulled away and looked down at Mia who was reaching for my hair, "hey sweet girl, I love you." I said and peppered her face with kisses. "Happy Halloween sweetheart!" I cooed and bounced her as she giggled.

We took her downstairs only to see a bunch of balloons and streamers, "guys." I said and rolled my eyes playfully, "you guys care more about my birthday than I do I swear." I said and Kat laughed, I think we care so much BECAUSE you don't care." She said and held out the homemade cake they had made, "well thank you, I love you guys so much." I said as Mia looked around at the balloons cautiously.

It was so funny seeing her react to things that were so normal to most people.

Colby pulled one down and put it in front of her face causing her to frown, "it's okay, look it's fun." I said and grabbed it from Colby and let it go so it would float to the ceiling. She let out a loud giggle causing everyone to laugh. This is all I wanted for my birthday, I didn't care about presents or parties.

This was all I wanted.

"Okay, dinner is at 5. What do you want to do before then?" Kat asked as she set the table up with the breakfast they made. "Um..we could just swim and relax, I really don't want to do much." I said and set Mia up in her high chair. She still hasn't been eating the food we give her, but today we were trying bananas.

"I have a good feeling about this one, babe." Colby said and mashed the banana in a bowl with a fork, "are you gonna eat for me today little one?" I asked Mia and tied her bib. I grabbed the spoon and put some mushed bananas on it, "Okay, open open!" I cooed as Colby and I opened our mouths, motioning for her to do it too.

She just stared at us as I turned Colby's face towards me so I could feed him, showing her what we were trying to do. She giggled and opened her mouth as Colby smiled at her. I scooped more up and put the spoon in her mouth.

The entire kitchen went silent as she moved the bananas around her mouth. She swallowed most of the food in her mouth and then laughed as we all cheered, "good job princess! I'm so proud of you!" Colby said and held her hand as she opened her mouth for more.

We all ate breakfast together and just enjoyed each others company. We then spent the afternoon in the pool. It was great living in LA because it was still hot enough to be swimming. We only had a couple more weeks before it was too cold.

Mia surprisingly loved being in the pool, even if she was just being held in the water. I looked around at everyone as they all splashed around, playing chicken. I let myself soak in this moment, not wanting it to end. I wished with my whole heart that this happiness would stay forever, but life happens and it's full of ups and downs. I was grateful to be in an upward swing right now.

"Are you happy baby?" Colby asked as he swam over to Mia and I. I smiled and kissed him, letting him take us into his arms.

"Happiest I have ever been."