46

I took a deep breath as I closed the door slowly, then turned and quickly found a hiding spot. I had to be smart about this, because I could definitely hear men talking to eachother from across the house. I closed my eyes and just thought about why I was doing this. Why I was putting myself in this situation. Mia's eyes showed up in my head, an image of her smiling at Colby and I.

I opened my eyes and slowly started to make my way to the stairs when I heard someone coming up behind me. "These kids are loaded! Way to scout this one out dude." One of the guys said as I dove into the corner, balling myself up as much as possible. The lights were off in this room so they luckily couldn't see me yet.

"Yeah dude, I've been watching them for weeks, they all went out of town or something, I watched them leave yesterday." The other guy said as they continued to grab stuff to take from us. "You're sure nobody is here?" The first guy said and looked around. "No I'm not sure but if someone is here, we can take them." He said and pulled out a gun.

Shit.

I held my breath as he waved it around like it was nothing, "dude why do you have that...you said we wouldn't hurt anyone!" The other guy hissed and pointed the gun away from himself. "Yeah but we can't have narks knowing what we look like." He said as the other guy shook his head.

I had to get upstairs and to Mia before she started crying. I had to get there fast but I had to be super careful, especially now that there was a gun involved.

I watched them cautiously as they went to the door that the girls were in. I prayed to God they locked it but these guys seemed like the type that might just break down the door anyways. Shit. Shit. Shit. I looked around and picked up the closest thing I could find which happened to be a remote. I had to throw it to distract them, but I needed to distract them from me and from the girls. I aimed for the kitchen as they reached for the doorknob of the movie room.

"What the fuck was that?!" The second guy said and flipped the safety off on his gun as they ran into the kitchen.

This was my chance.

I ran quietly to the stairs but couldn't make it the full way before the guys left the kitchen. I ducked behind the door of the closet under the stairs and held my breath, hoping they didn't see me.

"Who's fucking here?" The one with the gun yelled, "maybe we should go!! If someone's here they might have called the cops." The other guy said nervously. "Shut the fuck up!" The first guy hissed. "Let's go upstairs." He eventually growled out which caused my heart to race. I had to just go for it. If they shoot me then they shoot me. I have to protect my daughter.

I slid out from behind the door and booked it up the stairs, "HEY!" The guy with the gun yelled and shot at me. "Stop! It's a girl don't shoot!" The other guy yelled as I ran into the nursery and locked the door, unfortunately they followed me up the stairs.

Mia was crying from all the commotion, so I grabbed a pacifier. She was a little too young to be using these yet but I needed to keep her as quiet as possible if we were going to survive this. "It's okay sweet girl, mommy's here." I whispered and shoved the pacifier in her mouth. I seriously had to think fast if I wanted us to survive this. The police surely had to be on their way so I just had to stall for a couple more minutes. I rocked her a couple times before putting her in the crib, then stood between her and the door.

They were pounding at the door, "open up bitch!! We know you saw us!" The one with the gun growled. My heart was racing as I watched the door start to loosen. They were going to get in here.

I looked over to my left and saw the spare car seat we had and quickly grabbed Mia, and put her in it. "I love you." I whispered and kissed her head before I put the car seat in the closet. I didn't care what happened to me as long as she was safe.

As soon as I closed the closet, the main door burst open. "We just want to talk..." the more docile one said as the guy with the gun held it up, pointing it at me. I put my hands up, "I don't mean any trouble." I said quietly and kept my eyes on them, praying that Mia wouldn't spit her pacifier out.

"We know you don't but I don't trust people, especially bitches like you." He growled and stepped closer to me. I sucked in a breath, if he shot me then the noise would scare Mia and she would for sure spit that pacifier out. They would find her. I had to absolutely avoid being shot at all costs.

I glanced to my left and saw baby powder sitting on the dresser next to me. I had to be spontaneous and catch them off guard. I quickly grabbed the baby powder and flipped the cap off and dusted them directly in the face, catching them off guard, before kneeing the one with the gun in the balls causing him to drop the gun and groan, "you fucking BITCH." He yelled and lunged for me but I quickly picked up the gun and pointed it at both of them.

My hands were shaking with adrenaline as I stared them down, "I am a new mother and I have had maybe 6 hours of sleep THIS WEEK. I will not hesitate to FUCKING SHOOT YOU BOTH. Don't fuck with me or my family." I growled, not even recognizing myself. "Okay...calm down....we will leave and never come back." The nice one said with his hands up, I chuckled, "you see you put my kids life at risk and that's not gonna fly with me. Now either sit down and shut the fuck up or I'll make you." I said and scowled at them. They looked at me with both fear in their eyes and disbelief as I stood there, in my babies room, with a gun pointed at two grown men.

They both got down on their knees and held their  hands up as the police finally got to the house and snuck up on them.

I didn't put my gun down until they were both cuffed and out of the room. That's when the adrenaline wore off and I just fell to my knees, sobbing as one of the cops took the gun from me.