36

"Why hasn't she woken up?" Colby's frantic voice rang through, "the anesthesia is still wearing off, she's fine Colby." Meghan's voice responded, "are you sure? It's been like three hours since she's been back.." his voice shook with fear, I wanted to tell him I was fine but I was still so tired. I couldn't even open my eyes, "they did brain surgery Colby, it's gonna take a little longer for her bounce back, longer than you both expected but she's doing great, the surgery went well." Meghan said as Mia started to cry, "oh baby girl it's okay." Colby cooed.

"Is she awake yet?" Kat asked as the door closed, Colby sighed as Mia cried loudly, "no..not yet." His voice cracked, I could tell he was getting flustered.

"Here, let me try." Kat said and walked to the direction of Mia's cries. "God, we need her." Colby said quietly. I could feel my heart break as he said those words. He could do it without me, he could do this. "No, you can do this." Meghan said and joined them on the other side of the room. Thank you Meghan.

"She's probably hungry, when was the last time she was fed, "4 hours ago, she had half a bottle." Colby said. See, you can do this Colby. "Perfect, let's give her another half bottle, sit down I'll go grab it." Meghan said and left the room.

"I can't do this without her Kat." Colby sighed. I could hear his hand rubbing against the fabric of Mia's onesie as he spoke. "You can Colby, you're doing great, she would be so proud of you." Kat said quietly. "I just hope she's really okay..I know they said it went well but shouldn't she be awake by now?" He asked and I felt Kat's small hand take mine. "I don't know Colby...they did brain surgery, it might take a while...just keep being patient." She said as she squeezed my hand.

"Okay, I got her milk, let's give this baby some dinner." Meghan said and walked over to the others. I wanted to open my eyes so badly, but the sleep only knocked me out further into the darkness.

I don't know how much time passed but Colby's parents were here now. "Colby you're doing great, I know this is hard to deal with but she's so strong." His mom said quietly. "I know, I just wish she would come back to me..I feel like she's right here but she's so far away. I miss her eyes." He said and caressed my hand with his thumb. "She's right here, she's just healing. We should be grateful shes sleeping through that rather than her being awake. Trust me, her being asleep right now is a blessing." His dad said as my hearing faded out again.

"I brought you food brother.." Sam's voice rang through. "I'm not hungry." Colby mumbled. "Bullshit." Sam shot back quickly. "You haven't eaten all day. You know she wouldn't want that. She literally said you needed to eat. Don't do this. Don't shut down." Sam said harshly. He was right, I wanted Colby to know I was okay, I had to show him somehow that I was okay. I focused all of my energy on my left hand which he was holding in his. "I just feel sick to my stomach dude. I'm trying to keep it somewhat together for everyone's sake but I'm so fucking scared. What if something happened? And they thought it went well but they really just fucked it up?" I continued to focus on my left hand, begging it to fight the sleepiness and just move an inch.

"Trust them, trust the doctors, they said she's doing great and that her body is just healing. Brain surgery isn't easy dude. Now either you eat this yourself or I force it down your throat. You choose." Sam said with authority. I would have to remember to thank him for that.

It took everything in me but I finally was able to wiggle my fingers just then. "Oh my god! Baby can you hear me?" Colby yelled and shot up from his chair causing Mia to scream again, "shit" he hissed and let go of my hand, "it's okay, I'm sorry for waking you, little one. I think mommy is waking up." He said quietly. After about a minute Mia's sobs died down and silence filled the room again. "Cora baby, I know you can hear me, please just give me another sign that you're okay." Colby said desperately as he grabbed my hand again. I felt the fog start to fade away a little more. I felt my lips turn upwards as a small groan came from my throat. "Oh my god!" Sam yelled happily as Colby slapped the call button.

"What's going on!?" Meghan yelled as her frantic footsteps entered the room, "I think she's waking up!" Colby said happily, "come on baby, just wake up for us." He said and leaned over, placing a kiss on my lips. It's almost as if someone lifted a weighted blanket off of me as my eyes slowly peeled open, the brightness of the room instantly giving me a headache. "Hey beautiful girl." Colby said and trailed the back of his fingers along my cheek. "I-it's bright." I mumbled almost inaudibly due to the dryness of my throat.

"Hey Sam, can you turn the light off." Meghan said and brought over a cup of water with a straw, "here, drink this." She said as she brought the straw to my lips. The lights turned off causing me to sigh with relief. I looked around the room taking everything in. To my left was Colby, Mia's bed was right next to him, and to my right was Sam and Meghan. "How are you feeling?" Meghan asked and massaged the joints in my hands, it felt good. I just kept looking around until I met Colby's eyes, "you better eat before I kick your ass" I mumbled causing him to chuckle, "yes ma'am." He said and leaned down, kissing my bandaged forehead.

"So I take it you're feeling okay?" Meghan asked stifling a laugh as I turned my head sleepily to look at her, "I want my baby." I mumbled and Meghan smiled, "she's right here." She said and walked over to her bed as Colby ate the sandwich Sam brought for him.

Meghan held Mia in front of me so I could see her, my arms felt like noodles so I couldn't necessarily hold her, "hey pretty girl." I whispered reaching my hand out for her. My hand met her cheek and she cooed at my touch sending warmth through my body. My arm then gave out, falling to my side again.

I looked up at Sam as he smiled, "thanks for taking care of him." I whispered and nudged my head towards Colby, "not a problem, glad you're okay kiddo." He said and squeezed my hand once.

"Me too." I sighed with a small smile. I felt weird and in a lot of pain but I was alive, and that's all I could ask for.